Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Chest freezer or standing freezer?

I am getting a freezer for Jake’s food… even with an inside freezer (an ok sized one) and a big chest freezer in the garage, I still struggle for space! (and get moaned at by my mum!). So, I have been looking for months for a second hand one with no luck, so I have now just decided to buy a new one. I thought about it, and it makes sense coz I hopefully wont be staying at home for too much longer so it will be good to have to take with me.

Anyway, I cant decide what type to get (I am terrible for making decisions… or at least making a decision and sticking with it, I just think about it loads and keep changing my mind ). So, I can either get a chest freezer which, for the money, has more space but isn’t quite so convenient… or a standing freezer which has less space for the money, but is more convient what with the drawers making it easier to organise things etc… I am actually really sad, and love the idea of having specific things in specific drawers with wee labels etc … but realise that may not be the most important thing.

So, what is more important, space or convenience??

I hope I eventually make a decision!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Depends on individual really. We have two with drawers & they just dont hold as much. Years ago at home we had a huge chest freezer but it could be hard delvimg to the bottom of it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
i have a standing one... cos i was given it lol

...i may look on freecycle for a chest one tho.... i need more space with TA.

but im like u.. i like the drawers for organizing..shame i dont transfer it to other
areas lol

eta... good point velvetboxers im a short *ss
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Depends on individual really. We have two with drawers & they just dont hold as much. Years ago at home we had a huge chest freezer but it could be hard delvimg to the bottom of it.
See, i love the chest freezer due do its size... but it can be a nightmare raking around it! And my organisational side wants the standing freezer for the drawers

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i have a standing one... cos i was given it lol

...i may look on freecycle for a chest one tho.... i need more space with TA.

but im like u.. i like the drawers for organizing..shame i dont transfer it to other
areas lol

eta... good point velvetboxers im a short *ss
lol, i actually laughed out loud reading the last bit

I love to organise... well, organise most things... well, anything but my room
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I would say chest freezer we have just bought a econd hand one for Ollie off e-bay it is now in the spare room and all charged up and ready to be filled I have started him back on raw.

I have two under counter ones and they do not have much space they are ok for us but not for buying in bulk not enogh room for me anyway.

Try e-bay admitted we paid £82 for it but it was only 5 minutes up the road and the new ones were no less than £130 so Gorden felt it was worth it and there were quite a few people bidding on it too. Someone was as determined as us to try to win it so that also bumped the price up.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I have a small chest freezer in the garage solely for the dogs food. It works really well for me as I organise it by bagging up the food into portion sizes & putting the same type of things in large plastic bags. So I have bags of juiced up veggies, bags of blanched offal, bags of mixed mince meat in portion sizes etc. Then I have bones bagged up in portion sizes in clear bags so I can see what type of bones they are, e,g, oxtail, lamb, beef, pork etc.

I usually go to the butcher on a saturday morning & sort out the freezer then by taking everything out, putting the fresh stuff at the bottom, & the older stuff at the top so it gets used up first.

Anyway ~ that's the principle, but I do have "lazy" days when the new stuff gets chucked on top, or early mornings when I just grab a few bags to defrost for the evening meal. And I can't be bothered to label anything ~ clear bags & a good guess on the contents works for me!

I'm a short a**e too but I can manage to reach the bottom of my small chest freezer!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I would think about what you're storing in there, especially for Jake. Will you be buying things like whole rabbits and large marrowbones, that would be awkward to fit into a freezer drawer? I certainly appreciate the chest freezer for stuff like that!
Also you could see if your budget could stretch to baskets for the chest freezer, various companies sell pre-made ones or other companies will make custom ones (the company that make dog crates, Hamster Baskets, make freezer baskets too), so you can still have some semblance of organisation.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Most chest freezers come with at least one basket. Second hand they may be missing but ours luckily came with two.

All the new ones we looked at at the weekdnd had one basket in the chest freezers.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I have decided just to go for the chest freezer… it works out cheaper for the space you get, the cost of a standing one for the same space costs quite a bit more. The one I have seen, has a basket so every week I am going to put the weeks food in the basket so that I don’t have to rummage through it everyday… it will be all on top in a wee basket

I tried ebay for one, but I couldn’t find one anywhere near me lol… I did find some near on other sites (ad trader, preloved etc) but nothing that I liked, or that was big enough… also, if I get something too big my dad couldn’t fit it in the car… so buying a new one I can get it delivered for a small extra charge.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I have both a huge chest freezer in the garage and a mid size upright in the utility room both for the dogs. I replenish the upright from the chest one to save me having to go out to the garage every day. I would say the upright which has drawers which you can organise for most things it can be tricky to fit things in the drawers due to the shape and size of package. Great if you're feeding mince and pre packaged chunks but pretty useless for me to fit my home packaged carcasses/wings/legs/ribs etc due to the amount needed on a daily basis. My chest freezer is actually easy to find stuff i'm looking for as it's organised into sections, so tbh I could find what I was looking for blindfolded.

My chest freezer came with 2 baskets and they're sitting in the garage but not in the freezer, they take up space and nothing I have for the dogs is that small to need it's own basket.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >