Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im appalled that ANY clear thinking person cannot accept that in CERTAIN circumstances it would be the best way. For that animals sake. Some people think life is far too pink and fluffy, it isnt!
I am well aware that the world is not
'pink and fluffy' and no I refuse to accept that 'in CERTAIN circumstances' the best way for any dog ever to die this way.
I think if I was told that this barbaric act was to be carried out on any of my dogs because, in the circumstances it would be for the best, I swear to god I would kill the person with my bare hands if they so much as tried to shoot them.

I am not trying to argue with anyone and if the poster thought she could start one well I'm not playing ball.
I just find the whole subject of the CBG barbaric and think of the amount of dogs the rspca has euthanised this way
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:00 AM
For once Im on the fence... Not sure how I feel of course I am against the use of them on most cases. But not sure how I feel about them on some of the extreme cases people have spoke of.

I do think its a barbaric way to have an animal PTS If another way would be just as safe and easy. I dont like the thought of an animals life ending in such a way and wouldnt want it for any of my pets.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:10 AM
No, IMO, They shouldn't.

If a dog is going to freak out with being jabbed it should be given a sedative first.

I don't give a stuff if it costs more money/time TBH.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
No, IMO, They shouldn't.

If a dog is going to freak out with being jabbed it should be given a sedative first.

I'm with you on that one.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
No, IMO, They shouldn't.

That is pretty much my opinion as well....

But.....how would you get the sedative into a stressed out dog wo would not or cannot eat?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
That is pretty much my opinion as well....

But.....how would you get the sedative into a stressed out dog wo would not or cannot eat?
If the dog needs to be held immobile for the bolt gun, the dog can be held for a jab.
The dog is going to die, in these circumstances. There isn`t a lot to make it any easier - there is going to be fear and distress whatever method is used.
The problem I have with the bolt gun is that you don`t need a licence or training, that mistakes can be made (there is a greyhound alive today after a botched attempt) that it doesn`t necessarily kill (animals are `pithed` afterwards to ensure death) and that because it doesn`t require the user to be in any way licenced or trained, there is no system of checks.
You may trust volunteers and Inspectors from a Charitable agency. I don`t.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If the dog needs to be held immobile for the bolt gun, the dog can be held for a jab.
The dog is going to die, in these circumstances. There isn`t a lot to make it any easier - there is going to be fear and distress whatever method is used.
The problem I have with the bolt gun is that you don`t need a licence or training, that mistakes can be made (there is a greyhound alive today after a botched attempt) that it doesn`t necessarily kill (animals are `pithed` afterwards to ensure death) and that because it doesn`t require the user to be in any way licenced or trained, there is no system of checks.
You may trust volunteers and Inspectors from a Charitable agency. I don`t.
Please note that I was agreeing to the fact they should not be used

I guess you could have the dog darted with a sedative - I had not thought about that.
(please forgive - me lack of sleep and My puppy is eating a couple of other dogs at the moment - makes it hard to think!)
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
I know you and Jodie twist facts to suit, but the truth in this case was Rusty was shot with a NAIL GUN.

So this being a disscussion about Captive Bolt guns......

Try to stick to Topic
Oh right because thats SOOOOO much better
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I disagree totally about a bolt gun being "the kindest way to put your horse down" Jackbox. I had to have one of my horses put down, and I debated long and hard with the vet about the best method. He said absolutely without a doubt the injection method is the kindest and causes the least trauma to both horse and owner. However, in the case of injection, the carcase could not go to the local hunt kennels but had to be incinerated. I was not allowed to bury him in the fields (not that I wanted to). He explained that very occasionally the bolt did not cause instant death, and weighing up all the pros and cons, I decided on the injection.

That's fine, having witnessed many horses beign PTS over the yrs, (not all my own) I can tell you that the 1 that was euthanized by injection was the saddest thing I ever saw

Yes its very traumatic for the owner to witness their horse beign shot, but I can tell you they are down in an instant, before the huntsman has had time to remove his gun.

Personally taking my horse to the kennels and walking him into the field allowing his to look around, then the man with the gun rubbing his head the instant before he shot him is far better than having the vet come, inject him, then having to wait for the horse to fall, try to stand again, fall , fighting the drug all the way!!

I know which way Ifeel is the kindest!!

Originally Posted by spot View Post
But JB many of us think of greyhounds as dogs - not some sort of subspecies that should be in a separate category from ‘dogs’.

To some of us they are not stock or another species altogether – they are dogs! Greyhounds are dogs and they are used for racing why should they not be discussed on a forum for dog lovers?

Do you think every thread should have the breed of dog in its title then – would that be a way forward so that people who do not wish to hear about greyhounds can miss them out?

Hey spot, glad to see you back,see you have not lost the ability to exaggerate a persons post to suit your argument

Originally Posted by galty View Post
I know you and Jodie twist facts to suit, but the truth in this case was Rusty was shot with a NAIL GUN.
So this being a disscussion about Captive Bolt guns......

Try to stick to Topic
Is that right!! funny spot forgot to mention that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Im glad to hear you have do NOW have a problem with it being used on dogs depending on circumstances.

So when an animal is used to being handled and is not stressed out by being handled it is not ok?
That would depend on its owner wouldnt it, and what they wanted, being perfectly legal they can choose a bolt gun if they so please. me? I wouldnt for my dogs no.

Dawn you have now accused both Jodie and myself of only posting on threads that hold an interest for us. Unfortunately I do not have the time or capacity to post on threads that have no particular interest for me and Im not sure why I should do so just to please you, if the mods have a problem with it I am sure they will inform me of it. I didn’t know it was a rule that people had to post on more than one thread. Yes I love reading about other people’s dogs, training methods and I do read them but do not feel it necessary to respond to every one of them – you may have the time on your hands to do so but I and Im sure others do not.
Oh, I thought you said your computer was broke, not that you didnt have time?

Also to some of use the greyhound industry and its disposal methods are not rubbish or boring it would be nice if you could consider other people’s opinions as different to yours and not just insist that they are rubbish.
Im not rubbishing other peoples opinions, but this IS rubbish Spot, there is absolutely NO proof at all whatsoever this dog was shot with a bolt gun, just accept it.

Rust was shot with a NAIL gun, not a captive bolt, more rubbish and FALSE propaganda!
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »