Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2005, 10:23 PM

puppy food

Just looking for some opinions on puppy food. I was looking at Burns Mini Bites and Autarky (Spring)

Star did not do too well on the Burns food at 18.5% protein so Im not sure how well a boxer pup will do on the mini bites as they are only 21% protein.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Lily is on Burns mini-bites and is doing really well on it! Christmas I raised 11 pups on it no problems at all, fingers crossed 2 more litters on the way and they too will be raised on it.

Sorry not much help am I........
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't know Carole. I've been reading the Burns site pretty heavily and the lack of protein is becoming a concern. That and the first ingredient being rice instead of a meat. I'm still using it in my rotation but may cut it out.
Carole
Supervisor

22-03-2005, 07:13 AM
The other Burns puppy food is the Canine Extra but that is for large breed puppies which is not boxers The protein is 24% in that one.

Thanks CC. Lily looks great from the pics.

Nicole do you think that the lack of protein is bad for a growing boxer pup?
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I thought to much protein is bad for big dogs, or have i got it wrong again.
Carole
Supervisor

23-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I thought that too Traci its too confusing

Will need to do some more research on puppy foods and protein levels.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 03:24 PM
My two have Nutro Choice large breed, both on puppy at the moment, Keena will switch to adult soon...The protein is quite high in this actually, but I think it is ballanced properly with the fat ratio...I didn't want to go with a lower protein food because it was hard keeping weight on Keena as a younger pup and I thought anything with protein as low as burns would make her look anorexic...I think so long as your dog isn't prone to being overweight and is more prone to being harder to keep weight on then a higher protein level, so long as it is well balanced, should be ok?...I'm no expert, but that is the conclusion I came to when making a choice. I think it is a danger when the dog puts on to much weight to fast when growing as it puts stress on the growing bones and joints and some breeds (labs etc) would be prone to doing so with a higher protein diet?...Then again I may be completly wrong??!
Carole
Supervisor

23-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I had trouble with Star keeping weight on cause she was so active when she was younger so the low protein worries me too.

Has anyone put their pup straight onto adult food straight away and soaked it to make it more manageable for a pup?
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Carole...I'm not sure. From what I understand, the correct protein for adults is between 20 and 22%. About 2% higher for puppies...if we're talking bagged food.

The Burns is only at 18% for the adult. As you know from the other forum, I have trouble keeping weight on Spock. I've cut out the Burns and gone with a Natural Life/Chicken Soup rotation. Both have the same amount of protein, etc. but the ingredients vary. I'm still waiting to hear back from Diamond (makes CS) on their testing policies but as they haven't answered me it isn't looking good.

Meatball was raised on the Burns puppy for the first 5 months (then I switched to adult) and he was a bag of bones. I attributed it to his being a puppy but now I'm wondering if it was the Burns. He's put on a decent amount of weight since I got him off of it. Still see his last ribs but that's compared to being able to see them ALL before.
Carole
Supervisor

23-03-2005, 05:11 PM
that the trouble I had with Star on the Burns so I had to put her on the higher protein version. She seems to need at least 24% to keep a steady weight.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >