Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Puppy jabs

Hi,

Ive had my GSD puppy since last Saturday, he's 9 wks old tomorrow. He has his first jab at 7 wks and the breeder said his second was due 3 wks after that, which will be new years day and the vets is closed.

I rang the vets to see if they could do it a day early and they said its to be done no earlier than 3 wks later, as its closed on that day, its ging to be the Wednesday after new year. Aaaargh, Im so p***ed off, I had him booked into puppy classes on the 6th January and the vet said he wont be able to go as his 2nd jab wont have had time to take effect.

Is this right? Sometimes I think they just say anything over the phone coz they cant be bothered asking the vet.

I'm soooo annoyed

Thanks
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 02:09 PM
hi my vet told me with xeva (my 7 week gsd) that she was to have her second jab no later than 10 weeks as she had her first at 6 weeks, so if i cannot make it on the day she turn 10 weeks to do it a day or so earlier, she is then gotta have a 3rd jab just for parvo alone , i told my trainer that i would be joining her puppy class the week after they started back because of this and my trainer says to see how she goes as all the puppies that are in her class are older than xeva and have all had there vaccs.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh for gods sake, its daft isn't it? I said to the receptionist that I'd ring her back to make an appointment (I had to get off the phone as I was peed off!) and before I went, she said I should really make the appointment now as if I leave it and don't get the second jab done on or just after the
5th Jan, he will have to start the course all over again!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Have a word with the trainer. Many will take pups in if they have had their second injection (some take them after the first). The trainer usually checks the other pups booked onto the course to make sure they have completed and asks the other owners if it's ok with them for the pup to attend.

Vets have a tendency to 'cover their backs' when it comes to vaccinations with the two weeks recommendation, but I had quite a few vets themselves bring their own puppies between first and second injection (I did the checks and got the permissions obviously)
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Have a word with the trainer. Many will take pups in if they have had their second injection (some take them after the first). The trainer usually checks the other pups booked onto the course to make sure they have completed and asks the other owners if it's ok with them for the pup to attend.

Vets have a tendency to 'cover their backs' when it comes to vaccinations with the two weeks recommendation, but I had quite a few vets themselves bring their own puppies between first and second injection (I did the checks and got the permissions obviously)
Thanks, I'll do that. I'll email the guy who does the classes and see i he'll let us go. The vet said he'll be okay to go out 5 days after his 2nd jab but if I carry him to the classes and dont let him actually walk outside until 5 days after he'll probably be okay.