Our sister sites
Our sister sites
steffie&taz
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:46 AM

Staffie "Teen" crying at night

Hi,
I have two adorable staffies - a bitch (steffie the staffie) who's just turned 1 and my little boy (taz) who's 10 months. They sleep outside, but are in with us during the day while we're at home. This is because if I need to leave them with someone else (if we're away or something), I need to know that they'll be ok outside.

My little boy has always been a chewer. We have an old lounge, and the cushions fit perfectly in their kennel. However after the third cushion had been chewn up and left ALL over the backyard, I decided they weren't getting any more. I put old sheets in instead, and put them away during the day.

However since I stopped them having the cushion, Taz cries most nights. It builds and builds until he starts barking. I don't think he's got a problem with the kennel, as he's always the first to run in at bedtime (probably to get prime position Additionally, sometimes I let them sleep inside as a treat (more a treat for me, I love having them there!)

Meanwhile, I'm not getting any sleep and I don't think the neighbours are too impressed. I've read some of the forums and they say I should ignore the crying etc. But it's sooo hard, specially since I worry about the neighbours. And I don't really want to be giving him a kong at 3 in the morning when he should be sleeping. I should also mention that last night I gave in and put another cushion in there. But it didn't stop him.

Any ideas??? I'm sooo very tired!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Sorry I'm not experience enough to answer this, but I'm sure one of our "experts" will be along soon to help.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
not sure to be honest - staffies are VERY social dogs and love to be with people so it could be that he just doesnt want to be outside especially if you have brought him inside previously.

has he always done this?
what does the bitch do ?

cant really help all that much as my staffie sleeps on the end of my bed and many others peoples do too !! they just have that way about them .....
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by steffie&taz View Post
Hi,
I have two adorable staffies - a bitch (steffie the staffie) who's just turned 1 and my little boy (taz) who's 10 months. They sleep outside, but are in with us during the day while we're at home. This is because if I need to leave them with someone else (if we're away or something), I need to know that they'll be ok outside.

My little boy has always been a chewer. We have an old lounge, and the cushions fit perfectly in their kennel. However after the third cushion had been chewn up and left ALL over the backyard, I decided they weren't getting any more. I put old sheets in instead, and put them away during the day.

However since I stopped them having the cushion, Taz cries most nights. It builds and builds until he starts barking. I don't think he's got a problem with the kennel, as he's always the first to run in at bedtime (probably to get prime position Additionally, sometimes I let them sleep inside as a treat (more a treat for me, I love having them there!)

Meanwhile, I'm not getting any sleep and I don't think the neighbours are too impressed. I've read some of the forums and they say I should ignore the crying etc. But it's sooo hard, specially since I worry about the neighbours. And I don't really want to be giving him a kong at 3 in the morning when he should be sleeping. I should also mention that last night I gave in and put another cushion in there. But it didn't stop him.

Any ideas??? I'm sooo very tired!!!

A few thoughts: I'm not clear as to why the dogs do need to be outside? as if people come to stay and look after them, and they are your dogs, surely the dogs would be allowed inside on your instructions?

You could try to remedy the problem with some ingeniously (sp?) stuffed kongs, given to him when he goes outside to bed, as it might make him tired from chewing them if you give them to him at that time. If you are lucky, he may then sleep through and eventually get into this habit. However you need to be careful your dogs don't fight over resources/food/toys as you won't be there to supervise.

If you are also letting him in sometimes, this will confuse him and he will want to come in more often - after all it's a choice between comfort, company and being with the family pack, to being outside and (perhaps in his eyes) ostracised from the family.

So I'd suggest stuffed kongs and being consistent - but to be absolutely honest, I'd be letting him inside
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi steffie and Taz I agree with Wyzywig that consistency is important, if you let your dog sleep inside sometimes but not others he may be finding this confusing.

Also now you have taken away the cushions is he sleeping on a sheet on the floor, what floor is he sleeping on it may be really cold I would advise a wooden bench which is warmer and a woollen blanket (maybe an old one from a charity shop)..

Regarding the chewing , at 10 months he will have just got his second teeth and chewing at this time is normal, it should get less with time . I would give him something safe to chew like a large hard 'nylabone'.

If he has to sleep outside, is warm and comfortable no you shouldn't go out when he cries or he will get into the habit of you doing this, you are rewarding his crying with your presence.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi there, I had a similar problem with the chewing of cushions when Ben was a pup, well until he was about 14 months and I wrote to the vet in the Sunday mail paper and he suggested I sprinkle Cayenne pepper over the cushions...worked a treat. I then bought a proper doggie bed from PAH and he has never chewed or destroyed that - though admittedly the bottom of the bed is now his slep place.

IAs for the crying as others have said consistency and ignoring him (s'drug do good foam ear plugs!!!) He will soon learn that crying gets him nowhere and hopefully settle. Perserverence and being consistent are the keys I think
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 5 month old staffie, Mily, and she has always slept with us on the bed since we she was 2 months old; although we have had her since she was 4 weeks old, but we thought best not have in the bedroom yet, not till she's toilet trained!!

She has been so much more happier knowing that she's with us. Staffies love being around people it's their nature. I have also found that since she sleeps with us at night, when the morning comes and it's time for work she's not so "clingy" as before. She loves it and neither myself or my OH would change it for the world.

If you do decide to try it, make sure u leave the bedroom door open so that they can wonder in and out as they please, although Mily tends to stay put on the bed until it's time for me to get up in the morning. As soon as I'm up, she's up, telling me she needs to go to the loo and of course wanting her breakfast!!!

All I can say is enjoy the love of your staffies and they and you will be so much more happier.

All the best.

MissyPink.
jamstarbelle
New Member!
Male 

12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
lol i had to bring my little 9week old puppy into bed with me so i could get a sleep after nightshift amazingly she never soiled it when so young that was six years ago not so little now but still there beside me