View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Jobie doesn't have an agressive bone in him.. If he attacked someone unprovoked I'd be taking him down the vets to find out what was causing him pain, not to pts
Though if they couldn't find anything I don't know what I'd do. My parents would probably want him pts but if it were up to me I probably wouldn't, but he wouldn't be going out without a muzzle in public again (luckily I can take him on private property with a big security fence for walking, and he is not at all energetic anyway). he would still be able to lead a full life like that.
i hope i never have to make that decision for any of my dogs, especially not in that circumstance
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2008, 12:41 PM
if it was my dog and had NEVER shown aggression before then I would have to look to why the change, it could be the dog is in pain or has a brain tumor that could be treated, but before I had the dog PTS I would certainly have test to determine if there was an underlying problem, and then make the decision (if I am able to) to have the dog PTS or not.

mo
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
if it was my dog and had NEVER shown aggression before then I would have to look to why the change, it could be the dog is in pain or has a brain tumor that could be treated, but before I had the dog PTS I would certainly have test to determine if there was an underlying problem, and then make the decision (if I am able to) to have the dog PTS or not.

mo

........ditto
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2008, 04:03 PM
My Nan had a fantastic Airedale, he was as placid as could be, good with other dogs, people, babies etc... one day he just turned, he went to the vets to see what was wrong with him, it turned out he had an inoperable brain tumour and had to be pts So sad... if my dogs just turned I would want to find out why, as I always think there must be a cause, either clinical, pyschologically or enviromentally....
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
My Nan had a fantastic Airedale, he was as placid as could be, good with other dogs, people, babies etc... one day he just turned, he went to the vets to see what was wrong with him, it turned out he had an inoperable brain tumour and had to be pts So sad... if my dogs just turned I would want to find out why, as I always think there must be a cause, either clinical, pyschologically or enviromentally....

I agree there will always be a reason, even if there isn't anything you can do to change things. Having put your finger on why it happened the big question is, can this situation be managed safely? If not, I would PTS.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2008, 02:06 PM
We had this decision to make with Ozzy, the Rottie we owned prior to Marius. He got PTS for biting my husband Sid on the face. He didn't growl or give any indication prior to doing so, if Sid hadn't jumped back as quickly as he did, the bite would have been far worse. He meant business I still think it had something to do with the fact I was grieving badly that day, as my Mum had died early hours that same day, perhaps he picked up on the grief - maybe thought Sid was to blame for me being upset? I don't know

All the details are on my blog so I won't go into it here, as many Dogsey members will remember it well.

To me it is very simple, if the dog attacks without warning or provocation the decision is made for you. They have to be PTS. It was ..and always will be one of the hardest things I've ever done and I miss him dearly, but still stand by what we did.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2008, 05:37 PM
depends

for absolutely no reason then yes.....

if the dog was provoked - depends how badly the dog is affected aferwards (if the dog then attacked for no reason...) this is a situation i would never want to be in
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi,

When I was 10 and my younger brother was 8 we hd a Doberman. He was lying on the chair by the fire and my brother sat byhim and put his face near to him. Otrto (the Doberman) growled but took no notice. Being children at the time we dind't understand the significance of the growl and Otto turned and bit into my brother's face. My brother grew up then terrified of dogs (and now has cats as pets).

Otto was put into another room of the house until the following day. We were told he'd gone to live on a farm where there weren't any children. I suppose my parents thought it was better to tell us that that to try to explain to us why Otto had to be PTS.

If a dog attacks for no reason at all then being PTS is the only option, difficult as it is. I believe my brother should have moved frmo Otto when he growled but only being 10 at the time, we didn't realise thathe was telling us to lweave him alone. Maybe for Otto, being PTS was the wrong decision. But if my dogs hurt Oscar, I'd probably do the same.

I believe a dog will do somethign for a reason. I'd always try to find out why.

Furthermore, if we were broken into at night, I ahve absolutely no doubt that Ellie would attack. Zane on the other hand would probably stand behind Ellie, giving vocal suppor tform a distance (he's the biggest wimp on earth!). In these circumstances, there's no way I'd PTS.

I think each individual case has to be considered on it's ownmerits. I consider myself lucky that I've never had to make that decision myself.

Laura xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by havalab View Post
we had a black cocker who adored my hubby, but little else and flew into a madness for no reason, the final straw was she bit my sister in law and would leap at any visitors - we had four small children living near us and could not risk the gate being left open - afraid went to the doggy kennel in the sky.
we now have labs
Sorry to hear you had to have your cocker spaniel pts You must have been devastated. I wonder if your dog was suffering from "Cocker Rage"? I believe it was prevalent in solid coloured cockers for a while?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Angel44 View Post
When I lived in South Africa our German Shepherds were first and foremost our pets, but also played an important role in protecting us. We had 8 foot fencing all around our property, with signs every 6 feet warning of dangerous dogs. Some neighbours of ours had a barbeque one day, got a bit drunk and decided it might be fun to climb our fence and go paddling about in the river at the bottom of our property - we were out at the time. On the way down the shepherds were barking quite viciously so they picked up sticks to ward them off - that was like waving a red flag at a herd of bulls One of the dogs attacked one guy and bit him on the arm, quite badly so we were informed by the police, to the extent he needed surgery to repair the damage.

We came home to blood all over our doorstep (why was he at the back door???) and the police waiting for us, too scared to go in. After checking out our property, with all the warning signs,locked gate etc, we were asked if we wanted to counter sue for trespass. There was never any mention that the dog would have to be put to sleep. We knew he wasn't good with strangers, so when we had visitors he was locked in a spare room in the house so he couldn't bite anyone. With the family he was a wonderful and faithful companion who's tail never stopped wagging. After that awful day whenever we went out he was locked in the house, just in case.

I would probably feel differently now that I have kids. But in those days my hubby worked away from home a lot so I was left at home by myself, on 5 acres of land with neighbours who probably wouldn't hear any commotion. We took all necessary steps to ensure our dogs wouldn't get out, and people thinking about coming in would see all the signs, including one on the gate saying beep, don't come in, vicious dogs running free. Janus used to sleep in my bedroom next to the bed and I can honestly say I never once felt nervous or worried about intruders with him by my side.
I totally agree with your course of action in these circumstances.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >