Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Strays kennels and their staff!

You know, they are often the only way of finding a lost dog, but what hope have people and their pets got, when the strays kennels have no idea as to a breed of dog they have in?

On Tuesday I was alerted to a 7yr old Border Terrier bitch that was in my local strays kennel. A friend of mine who lost his 21 months ago in a nearby area to where she was found, rang on the off chance it was his, he has never given up hope of finding her. The results were encouraging, a bitch of the same age, no chip found, but the kennels said, that their scanner sometimes doesnt pick up chips of all types. His bitch had a "double nipple" at the back, the kennel girl said this bicth had similar but a "lump" where the second nipple would be, perfectly plausible he thought, especially if a tumour or similar had become apparent in the time she was gone. Same colour etc..

I agreed to go and view the dog for him, scan her with my scanner just to make sure, and would take pictures for clarification as my friend lives right down south and would have a very long journey to get her back, one I might add, he was delighted to be making!

I spoke to the lady at the desk, who said she knew the Border Terrier I meant and gave me her kennel number. this is what I found.

A crossbred Terrier of about 12/13yrs of age, smooth haired and a docked tail! The person on the phone and at the desk insisted that she was a pedigree Border, no doubt. The lady at the desk then blamed the dog warden for booking it in wrong, but for petes sake dont these people realise, or even KNOW what they have in front of them? These dogs dont stand a chance of getting home when the people caring for them dont know even basic breed identification! I was so cross, but feel my words fell on deaf ears.

I hope with "new" identification, this little dog can find her way home.
Dawn.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The kennels look nice and clean though Dawn, more than can be said about a lot of the stray kennels I have seen over the years!

Hope the little dog gets a good home, I hate to think of any dog being lost or unwanted but I have a special affection for the golden oldies.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Its a new kennels Novavizz.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I recently got a call from our local kennel asking me to help them rehome a Malamute...

I wondered..is she or is she not..

However was pleasantly surprised (not to mention p*ssed off) that she was indeed..so well played to them..

She now has a fabby new home to go to..when she is fully healed from her spay..

But I agree some are a bit hit and miss..they had a small terrier thing next door which was labelled as a staff but it was teeny!..more JRT!..
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its a new kennels Novavizz.
Well in that case I hope they keep them looking like they do now...........nothing more off putting to prospective new owners than dirty kennels and smelly dogs! My latest dog, a Weimaraner, is from our local stray kennels - at least they got her breed right. She's only been with me a week but settled in very well, she's about 8 or 9 years old - another golden oldie!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
My uncle's boxer X escaped a few years ago, he phoned all the local homes and explained and said what his dog looked like, he was told they had no dogs like that but would be told if any turned up.

He never recived a phone call and after a couple of weeks thought he would never see the dog again and decided to have a look around the home where they said they would phone him. He didnt expect to get a dog as still upset over losing the boxer x, while there can you guess who he saw up for rehoming? yes his dog, it had also been there a while.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Crikey ! How could anyone say that adorable terrier girl was a border?

That and Stormey's post make me think that - God forbid - I ever lose my dog I will take a photo or two down to the strays kennel and say "watch out for her!"
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:20 PM
It is rather disheartening they thought the dog in the photo was a border terrier - not to mention the fact that their scanner doesn't always work! Doesn't fill you with confidence that these lost dogs will find their way home, does it?

I bet your friend was gutted Dawn
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
He was Kirsty, but now we are concerned for the little Dog that is there!

Im not sure if I can do anything to help these dogs? Raise awareness of the fact kennels may not recognise breeds? i dont know but it concerns me.

Stormey.
Typical story isnt it, glad the dog is back where he belongs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Crikey ! How could anyone say that adorable terrier girl was a border?

That and Stormey's post make me think that - God forbid - I ever lose my dog I will take a photo or two down to the strays kennel and say "watch out for her!"
That sounds like an excellent idea.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »