Our sister sites
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Rescue/Crossbreed to do Agility???

Any help and assistance gratefully received
I have a rescue Collie/ Lurcher aged 4 - called Willow who I
believe would love to do 'Agility'. The problem is, that I know nothing about starting this and need a beginners guide from registering to finding out where the nearest clubs are to me etc. I would be grateful for any information anyone can give me to point me in the right direction.

She has had such a horrible start in life - and I feel she would really benefit from this as she is such a sweet, gentle, obedient girl with lots of energy and enthusiasm.

Thanks Dogsey Pals!
Dan and Dogs. xxx
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 07:27 AM
The Kennel Club website should have a list of registered clubs in your area. Also one of the agility websites used to, not all are KC reg but that does not matter, the club I go to isn't & it's the best I've seen IMO. Most will have a waiting list for beginner classes & I feel it's worth going & having a look to see how they are run, if there is good control, that there are not too many dogs in the class (most classes will not have more than 6-8 dogs at any time. The APTD (assc of Pet Dog Trainers) also lists who teaches agility, & that is a good association with sensible guidelines & a culture of motivational methods. Certainly there is no shortage of clubs in Kent. As I no longer compete I am very out of touch! Hope you find something good & enjoy!
Katia
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I have just checked & there is what seems a pretty comprehensive list on the agilitynet site where there is a link called clubs A-Z. Also a sensible article by Mary Ann Nester on deciding whether or not your dog is suitable etc.
Good luck with Willow.
Katia
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi dan,

I've added the link to agility net for you where abouts in Kent are you, I'm in Ashford and go to the Stour Valley club, there may be a waiting list so get yourself on one pretty quick Good luck and keep us updated on how things go

http://www.agilitynet.com/activepages/clubs.asp

Christine
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by katia View Post
I have just checked & there is what seems a pretty comprehensive list on the agilitynet site where there is a link called clubs A-Z. Also a sensible article by Mary Ann Nester on deciding whether or not your dog is suitable etc.
Good luck with Willow.
Katia
Thanks katia - I have just been on the agility net site and found alot of clubs which are near to where I live - I have also read the article by Mary Ann Nester which is really useful.
I will give a couple of them a call later.

Watch this Space!!

Thanks again- - Dan. x
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Hi dan,

I've added the link to agility net for you where abouts in Kent are you, I'm in Ashford and go to the Stour Valley club, there may be a waiting list so get yourself on one pretty quick Good luck and keep us updated on how things go

http://www.agilitynet.com/activepages/clubs.asp

Christine
Hi Christine - Thanks for your link!
As mentioned in above post I have had a good look and found a couple of local clubs. ( and read article)

I Just have to to pass my driving test on Thursday!!
Will keep you updated - Thanks again.

Dan. x
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Hi Christine - Thanks for your link!
As mentioned in above post I have had a good look and found a couple of local clubs. ( and read article)

I Just have to to pass my driving test on Thursday!!
Will keep you updated - Thanks again.

Dan. x
Good luck! You will need to drive (or have a friend who will drive you) for agility.
Katia
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by katia View Post
Good luck! You will need to drive (or have a friend who will drive you) for agility.
Katia
I have found a couple of clubs which are not too far away. My partner drives and the classes are in the evening but he does'nt get home til late - So fingers crossed on Thursday when I take my test!!

Dan. x
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Good luck for your driving test on Thursday, let us know how you get on. And keep us posted on how Willow gets on at agility. There are a lot of COllie lurchers out on the circuit at the moment!

Take care