View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh dear were do i begin,from a small child i have always loved dogs.I took to strays better than i took to other children even my sisters and brother.But there is past history in this which i cant discuss.I always has a stray at my side.Well i grew up,i think lol still the same rather dogs than people.Any dog that needs a home for a while comes to me.I train them up make sure they are ok with famillies etc.Then I find good homes for them.Some take longer than others.No money making for profit,a dog was there when i was small and went through a lot as a child.So i want to help pay back that honour if that makes sense.I try and keep a dog for myself but along comes another that needs my help,and it is heartbreaking to make the right choice.I have had more dogs than hot dinners,but to train them and rehome them no matter what is a great feeling.Well i could go on and on.But i do now have my own dogs that i will keep for life.After my Gypo left me,I thought id never have one of my own again.Till a year later and along came Sasha,i was suppose to be trainning her up.Then find her a new home,this dog was very aggressive,not trained in any way you could think of,but there was something there between us she was a real challenge,she really stole my heart.Then i just had to find her a friend,along came the greyhound buster,and now i have izzy,another greyhound.These i know i will have for life.Why this breed cos my grandads greyhound was there for me 45 years ago,i was 2 years old.Will i still help dogs,yes but now i cant bring them home,but there is always away to help.Hope this makes sense this is not a story,this is real.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 08:43 AM
i love reading this thread
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I own a Lurcher and a longdog b/c they look great when they run but are the calmest dogs indoors, although I would love another bullie.
bobbym
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2008, 12:08 AM
as a kid growing up i lived with labs and lab crosses, but or verirst dog as a family was a collie. his name was blackie and the only thing i remember of him was he would not let my sister eat worms(lol) a bit about myself then. i grew up in northern ireland and endured what is called the troubles but joined the army. when i met the woman of my dreams she wasnt long in deciding that civvy street was foe us.
we had 2 kids in between and 2 very long living (and agressive) rabbits,
i so know that being the proud owner of a newfie seems so far away from where and when i was at but fate has taken me there and the friends and knowledge i have embrassed from just being a dog owner has been unbeatable so newfies for ever
Aslanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2008, 04:18 AM
The pup that I currently own is: 50% Weimaraner (her mum) , 25% Labrador & 25% Amer. Staf. Terrier (her dad); it was an accidental breeding. I was looking to adopt a dog from the shelter, as I always had done. I just couldn’t find a dog which both my senior parents, whom I was taking care of, would agree on; plus we had cats. Mum wanted a Dalmatian & dad wanted a Labrador & neither parent would give in to the other. I just couldn’t afford to have 2 dogs.

After the death of both parents in March of 2006, I began looking at newspaper ads, in shelters, etc. I had to find a dog which got along with cats, kids & seniors. A few people told me that since I had senior cats, that I should adopt a puppy & train from there. A couple co-workers, plus my sisters, told me that training a pup was easy. I found Dutchie 2 years after my mum’s passing, so naturally gave her my mum’s nickname: Dutchie (she also gets called Dutchess).

Dogs that I have owned in the past: a Doberman Pinscher – Duke (senior, shelter rescue); a German Shepherd mix – Starr (adult, shelter rescue); a Collie / Golden Retriever mix – Altair (accidental breeding). I prefer adopting senior critters, or critters that others would overlook due to health problems etc.

Growing up we have had nothing but Labrador Retrievers, my dad’s favorite breed.
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2008, 07:59 AM
All my life I have had the pleasure of the company and loyalty of gundogs.

Working Cockers, ESS & Labs in various combinations over the past forty years. I have loved them, worked with them and when the missus wasn't speaking to me (quite often) they would be sneeked in during the night so they could keep me company.

Shed loads of tears over the years as, inevitably, each one passes on it's way vowing each time never to get so attached to a dog again but I always do.

A year ago however I was able to make a 20year dream come true when I got Jago, a Clumber Spaniel. I could never justify or afford getting one in the past and I used to just look on enviously at Clumbers I met at shoots, game fairs etc.

However, about 5 years ago I lost my Springer and came to the conclusion that it was time to let my heart rule my head.

It took another four years before I found just the right litter with the working background I wanted. So home came Jago.

So now I am owned by 1 springer spaniel, Ailla 30 months old, Jago clumber spaniel 16 months old and now, as of two weeks ago, Benson another clumber spaniel 4 months old who is Jago's brother. Same parents but from the mother's second litter.

As much as I love Labs & Springers I must say that the Clumbers have really stolen my heart. They have just sooooo much character and are really loyal and loving.

But if I had the room I would still have another Lab and I think I'll always have at least one Springer just to keep me on my toes. Clumbers, however, will now always play a part in my life

Steve
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Wow there was a clumber were I lived a few years ago before it crossed rainbow bridge, it was a Lemon and white one, and I have to admit that when I first saw it and I didn't know what it was I thought that it was a golden retriever cross spaniel I now know better now though and I feel silly for that, but I was about 10 thats my excuse I would love to see photos of yours though.
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Wow there was a clumber were I lived a few years ago before it crossed rainbow bridge, it was a Lemon and white one, and I have to admit that when I first saw it and I didn't know what it was I thought that it was a golden retriever cross spaniel I now know better now though and I feel silly for that, but I was about 10 thats my excuse I would love to see photos of yours though.
This is Benson, the newest arrival

and Jago

Steve
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2008, 08:23 AM
What gorgeous dogs, do you want to let me have one lol, they really are so pretty and lovely though, it must be so nice to have them.
Aslanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I really enjoy reading this thread; very informative. It gives everyone a chance to know what breeds of dogs the members grew up with & have now.
Page 15 of 24 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »