Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Have you seen a wolf pack outside of a captive environs ?

Eh yeah on the TV, havent actually seen them first hand as they would more than likely be hiding anyway and I cant take months out my life to go to USA...

Studies done on anything other than native wild wolf packs is their natrual environs aren't worth a dime. Wolf packs consist of an fairly unrelated "Breeding"pair & their offspring from their litters, when the cubs reach sexual & physical maturity they leave the pack in search of a mate to strat up their own pack.

You will find very interesting studies done by the wolf management guys at Ely, Minnesota they follow by radio transmitters the wild wolves and study their behaviour. and I can assure you I am well versed in their behaviour I have studied them for over 20 years..

The youngest always eat first when the hunters return when the cubs are too young to join the hunt, then the "nannies"who have remained to protect the cubs. The hunters eat at the kill & then when they return to the cubs/nannies regurgitate food for them, this is encouraged by the submissive behaviour of licking the older wolves lips by the younger ones(a behaviour sometimes seen between domestic dogs & also with dogs & humans)

Yes I completely agree, as the same way dogs in the main will not harm a pup, similar behaviours. Same as pups lick our faces, so why is this, instinct, which is how they learn, as do our dogs albeit to a lesser degree and varying results with each breed and each individual dog.

BUT if the pack that has been on the hunt make kill it is always the dominent wolf who has the first feed is it not? The only time the Dog or male is not in charge is when the female has a litter and stands her ground most times the male allowes her to take the food with no fight or epurcussion.

You cannot compare Big Cat behaviour & Canine behaviour, they are totally different species. A pride of lions can consist of only females for a while or a male & the females(who are usually sisters or sisters & mother)The male is unrelated & can be replaced by a stronger male, who will kill any young cubs in the pride to ensure that his genes are past on(although of course the lion doesn't know this-it is instinct)

I didnt it was Mahooli that lumped the whole animal kingdom in together
All species are different, all breeds are different and each individual dog is different, basically whoever, or whatever methods are used in training should be utilised to suit the individual dog and owner, we all do things differently and we all want different results. I find it hard to read the silly comments re "you must agree that harming your dog is ok"!! I dont really think anyone on this thread thinks that at all. But each different circumstance needs different remedies, if I thought my dogs life was in danger I can assure you I would do anything in my power to stop the action that made it so, would you not?

I have watched CM and feel he is good at what he does, he has stopped a lot of dogs being made rescues and to me that in itself should be commended, I have agreed and disagreed with many people and types of training but as far as I am concerned as long as it is for the GOOD of the dog then fine.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I read so I know what it says, I wont form an opinion based on ignorance. I'm not passionate about what he says or does but i found the books to be easy to read and written in a humourous fashion a bit like John fishers books in that respect.
I've said before obviously I already had a way of training my dogs before he popped up on tv and he's pretty close to the way I've always trained my dogs. Although that has obviously evolved over the years.
I also read lots of others Emma Parsons, Barbara Sykes, Turidd Rugaas etc. and have dallied with clickers etc. just so I know what it's all about, they work when used properly doesn't mean I want to continue using one longterm, nor that they're the answer to everything.
Horses for courses as they say.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Well thankyou for allowing that other people train in different ways and have different opinions. Unfortunately, a lot of dog-owners don`t read, and base their dog training methods on TV programmes. Which, as I`ve said before, is as useful as basing your personal life on lessons learned from WifeSwap or Jeremy Kyle. You can`t teach a puppy recall by any method he uses on TV. The reason I mentioned recall is that
1.it is uncomplicated to teach provided you understand how a dog learns.
2. It seems to be the one a lot of people have trouble with
3. It takes a long time. (An element totally missing in TV programmes)
Learning recall is something that needs positive re-enforcement, repetition and patience. It can`t be taught by quick-fixes or imparted to a dog by way of Having Positive Energy.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yes i do, gonna call the rspca?
I also give their ar$e$ a firm slapping but that's in play and they queue up for that one.
RE poking/nudging: I nudge Bryan with my toe to get his attention when he's on lead and starts to get fixated on another dog (I know when he is going to go into his barking frenzy).

I can't bend down because I have damage to my spine and neck from brain surgery and brain damage which has resulted in sudden decrease in blood pressure if I bend (to the point where I pass out) and vertigo which means I am dizzy all the time.

So how else could I get his attention? Touching him with my toe near his hind leg works really well. He might have a little grumble, but he always looks up to me and then I can get him to either walk the other way or go into a sit. Either way his attention is off the other dog because I touched him with my toe.

I could have shouted at him or yanked the lead. But I think a touch is much better and has been the thing that worked. If I just turn and walk he's still spinning round barking at the other dog so to me that isn't fixing the problem. Getting his attention on me and not on the other dog is fixing it.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well thankyou for allowing that other people train in different ways and have different opinions. Unfortunately, a lot of dog-owners don`t read, and base their dog training methods on TV programmes.
I wonder what percentage of dog owners don't do any training at all?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well thankyou for allowing that other people train in different ways and have different opinions. Unfortunately, a lot of dog-owners don`t read, and base their dog training methods on TV programmes. Which, as I`ve said before, is as useful as basing your personal life on lessons learned from WifeSwap or Jeremy Kyle. You can`t teach a puppy recall by any method he uses on TV. The reason I mentioned recall is that
1.it is uncomplicated to teach provided you understand how a dog learns.
2. It seems to be the one a lot of people have trouble with
3. It takes a long time. (An element totally missing in TV programmes)
Learning recall is something that needs positive re-enforcement, repetition and patience. It can`t be taught by quick-fixes or imparted to a dog by way of Having Positive Energy.
I made it plain back on page 4 that recall wasn't something you would learn from him and also that my methods are probably no different from any other competant persons.
I agree it is simple to teach.
It isn't one I've ever had trouble with, so maybe if people do have so much trouble they need to revise how they teach it.
In my experience it doesn't take a long time at all, all my rehomes have been off lead by the end of their very first walk with us. It does however require to be practiced and reinforced throughout their lives but then again why should anyone think training ever ends.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
all my rehomes have been off lead by the end of their very first walk with us.
Same here with my fosters, apart from one who took a few days
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 01:37 PM
CM actually states

Dog training – Conditioning a dog to human commands – sit, stay, come, heel – isn’t what I do.
So he would be of no help for a dog & owner who had no recall !
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
CM actually states

Dog training – Conditioning a dog to human commands – sit, stay, come, heel – isn’t what I do.

Right, well at least that explains why none of us 'pro's' can answer the initial thread question! Thanks Joedee!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
CM actually states

I said that back on page 4
Page 20 of 25 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »