View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I differ on this one. Daisy's 'aunt' was introduced to Daisy when she was a pup and she persisted in standing over her and growling. Daisy would be subservient and roll over constantly. I wanted to stop it but unfortunately took advice from the owners of the other dog . I'm sure it has made Daisy timid and I wouldn't stand for it again.

Suggest the best thing you do is try to avert their attention. Remonstrating with the older dog may give it bad vibes against the pup. Good luck whichever way you choose to handle it
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342
I differ on this one. Daisy's 'aunt' was introduced to Daisy when she was a pup and she persisted in standing over her and growling. Daisy would be subservient and roll over constantly. I wanted to stop it but unfortunately took advice from the owners of the other dog . I'm sure it has made Daisy timid and I wouldn't stand for it again.

Suggest the best thing you do is try to avert their attention. Remonstrating with the older dog may give it bad vibes against the pup. Good luck whichever way you choose to handle it

How do you differ Katrina? as we said it shouldnt be allowed to contine?

Mo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Think it is very difficult when you first see dogs reaction to a new pup or even a new dog, how as a novice do you tell what is normal and what requires your intervention. Sometimes what to us seems aggressive behavior may to the dog be normal, so how can you tell, I have no idea, it is something that comes with experience of the interaction of dogs and is almost impossible to communicate to others.

In this case I would try to distract the older dog for a week or so and never leave them alone together, try to booster the older dogs confidence. If after 10 days or so he is still being over pushy I would step in and take control, treat them both the same and make sure it is you in control, not the older youngster nor if it comes to it the puppy.
Cyrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys have only been following your ideas for a couple of hours and can already see a difference in them I know we have a way to go but I am already feeling better about the situation
The older one will happily watch the pup playing with his toys in the sitting room and they have even taken part in a little game of tuggy under supervision of course

Lets hope this is the start of good things to come
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I hope things go well for you.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by mo
How do you differ Katrina? as we said it shouldnt be allowed to contine?

Mo
oops! I've re-read the post I thought said different and it's not quite as I originally thought
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2