View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2006, 06:49 PM

Obedience classes (should I start now with 12 month old dog?)

As most of you know,we have had Ossie for six weeks or so now,and there are certain things that he cannot do.Not that i expect him to with his background,but with a lot of things we are making good progress and other things not so good.I suppose what im asking is......Is it worth going to obedience classes with him (Os is 12 months old) or do you think i should give him more time to settle into his new home?Also is there a right age or a wrong age to go to obedience classes?
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Obviously the younger you can start obedience classes the better - but it is never too late to start. I think its high time you started classes as there has been more than enough time for him to settle down - you should start how you mean to go on. Good Luck with your training.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I cant really give any postive advice on this one but all i can say is what you have achieved with ossie is excellent by no means it will take time to learn and teach him things it will come to him give and take time if you think deep down in side obiedence class is whats needed then follow your heart there is no age limit for attending classes any age is accepted pop along and see what they do and go from there i wish you all the best
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks Sansorrella and bluemerle lover.

We have achieved a lot i know,and i am well pleased with our progress.he is a very good boy in almost everything and in that way we are very lucky.(although i have put in a lot of time over the past six weeks as you know) but a little polishing of the things we have learned and maybe a learn a bit more about each other,can never be a bad thing.I am talking about things like recall even on a long training line,he does as he likes,even with reward based training.Its just things like that i feel i could do with a bit of professional advice really.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:31 PM
you have done really well with ossie go along to one of the classes and speak to someone there they will advise you and you can watch a class and see for yourself how they train on recall and if your happy with what you see join up it will be alot of fun for you and ossie and well worth the effort put in with the classes
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks i will certainly go and have a look.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 08:56 PM
good on you let us know how you get on
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2006, 10:37 PM
There is no right or wrong age to start training classes Young puppies tend to learn more quickly, but then many of them get the 'flakies' at around 6-9 months, and it can be hard training through that Ossie already has a pretty solid foundation on which to build so you both should find it enjoyable and rewarding

Before you enrol in a class do go along, without Ossie, so that you can observe and decide if the instructors and training methods are what you want.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Totally agree with SB here Steve. Some trainers' methods are not to my liking, whereas others are - it's best to go and see. Try and get one via APDT here http://www.apdt.co.uk/ and the very best of luck with it.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 03:01 PM
If it's any consolation my Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Jasper passed his Puppy Grade at age 7 years Granted he was a rescue dog, had the basics but after we lost our staffie bitch we thought it would be a good idea to get him out and about, unfortunately bouncy pups totally freaked him out
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >