View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Walk today was miserable - I feel so fed up! (update @ post #24)

Just got back from todays walk and I feel right proper fed up.

As you all probably know, Jack has never been very sociable with other dogs, but only if they get up close and personal with him, then he will bite. He'll ignore them completely even in the street on the lead. I would love him to play with strange dogs but he doesn't and I understand him so thats fine with me.

But.....

On wednesday this week a JRT decided to take a lump out of Milo ( jack wasnt with me) . Since then Milo has barked his head off at every dog he sees on or off lead. This of course sparks Jack and I end up in a tangle trying to hold on to them both. That was our walk from the second we got out of the car today.
Then a lady with a very sweet black Lab made a beeline for me while I was throwing the dogs ball for them. Jack was amazing and I just kept throwing the ball and he ignored her completely as did Milo until they stopped while i fumbled with the ball. Then Milo turned on her, showed his teeth and went for her. I couldn't believe it. I didnt DO anything I just started throwng the ball again and they were all fine until the woman managed to get her dog back. (I'm sure she was cross cos she was trying to call her back but the Lab was ignoring her and chasing the ball, but I knew if I stopped one of my 2 would have her again).

I'm so disappointed with Milo, I never would have believed him capable of it.

Milo is a big dog and I can't have him behaving like a thug. I have worked so hard on Jack's tolerance and its taking us back at least a year.

Then on the way back to the car Jack disappeared into the undergrowth as is usual but he couldnt find his way back and it took him ages to follow my voice (he couldn't see over the grass). Just as I was staring to worry a man with a dog I know to be aggressive headed on to the same patch of land. He of course couldn't see jack so he let his dog off. But my lad was still out there trying to find his way back to me. Thank fully he did but my heart was in my mouth until I got his lead on.

And whilst all this was going on my 4yr old decided to take her wellies off and go paddling in the lake fully clothed. I looked around and she was stood there enjoying herself with her big brother dying with laughter!!!

So now I feel like I should have stayed in bed. Anyone have any suggestion? I feel I will have to stop walking them together until I can get Milo's behaviour under control. Trouble is that will take me about 4 hours a day.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:09 AM
make a cuppa,, take a deep breath,,

I take it when your say milo went for her, you mean the dog not the owner?
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
make a cuppa,, take a deep breath,,

I take it when your say milo went for her, you mean the dog not the owner?
Hello sweet
Yeah the dog. I'd definitely have done something if he's gone for the owner!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:15 AM
second thing Im going to say is, given you have two dogs and two kids with you, its easy to lose concentration on any one of them at any time, I would take milo out alone for the time being, that way you can concentrate on him, without other distractions,
It sounds like so many things were going on today, this must have stressed you out a bit,
Im sure with milo one on one you will have far better control next time
the one thing I would say is.............you had a good idea the situation would crop up but tried to avoid it by throwing the ball............not a mistake you will make again
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:22 AM
the one thing I would say is.............you had a good idea the situation would crop up but tried to avoid it by throwing the ball............not a mistake you will make again
I have been out with Milo alone since he was bitten and if I use a treat and introduce him quietly and calmly, he's just fine, and doesn't bark.
I had no idea he would go for this dog today, so it was more Jack I was concerned about when this Lab came over. Knowing Jack as well as I do, I knew that he'd keep his focus on the ball and completely ignore the other dog. Which he did beautifully. Had I have thought for a second that Milo would do more than bark I might have handled it differently but that was the strange thing. He didnt bark at her once. They were running side by side for about 3 minutes before he turned on her. I was actually telling them both how well they were doing the whole time, until this happened.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Oh hun I feel for you, I agree with Shona though I think alot was going on for you with two dogs and kids.....
Plus your anxious over Jack, which will immediately be pick up on/sensed by Milo...even though he was running along for a while with the other lab. By the way there may of been alittle ....your not getting MY ball there...........
I think if it was me I'd take Milo out alone too, just to get him back used to ''other dogs are not a threat/to be attacked''
Pity your not closer I would gladly use mine to help him realise that playing is all that is required.

Good luck hope it sorts itself
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
I have been out with Milo alone since he was bitten and if I use a treat and introduce him quietly and calmly, he's just fine, and doesn't bark.
I had no idea he would go for this dog today, so it was more Jack I was concerned about when this Lab came over. Knowing Jack as well as I do, I knew that he'd keep his focus on the ball and completely ignore the other dog. Which he did beautifully. Had I have thought for a second that Milo would do more than bark I might have handled it differently but that was the strange thing. He didnt bark at her once. They were running side by side for about 3 minutes before he turned on her. I was actually telling them both how well they were doing the whole time, until this happened.
right, the end of the world is not here,, do you think milo picked up on you being a tad worried?
Do you think poss the praise may have egged him on,

I sometimes find, in a sinario where something may go wrong, giving no verbal is better, unless its a clear command to come/sit/down or whatever.

what age is mugga milo now?
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:44 AM
right, the end of the world is not here,, do you think milo picked up on you being a tad worried?
Do you think poss the praise may have egged him on,

I sometimes find, in a sinario where something may go wrong, giving no verbal is better, unless its a clear command to come/sit/down or whatever.

what age is mugga milo now?
I'll bear the praise thing in mind, I suppose if he was anxious already and I was telling him he was good that may have confirmed his anxiety. The big lump is 8 1/2 months and huge. He has very well formed plums hanging out the back and they have been for a very long time so he has matured very quickly. No puppy balls here.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Pity your not closer I would gladly use mine to help him realise that playing is all that is required.

Good luck hope it sorts itself
Thanks sweet. A friend was with me this morning and she walks her dog with another group of bomb proof dogs on Tuesdays, so I'm gonna take him out with them.
PS I'm from Brum so next time I'm up there, I'll give you a shout and we can go up the Lickeys together!!

I think part of the problem today was, I felt in a muddle from the second we got out of the car. We'd walked about 5 yards when he saw the first dog and started shouting his head off at it which in turn put Jack's ears up. It set me up bad and they felt it. I told em both off for pulling so I'm sure it was my negativity that fed down to them. I know it'll be my fault. I'm as fed up with meself as I am with them!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Lickeys is good or sutton Park.....let me know first though as Pat does the driving...I don't drive But thats cool with us
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I just wanted to say that I know how hard it is when you have dogs with 'issues' (as Shona knows because I moan to her quite a bit about it).

I think sometimes a walk is just rubbish from the start, everything goes pear shaped and it feels like you have two demon dogs on the end of the lead.

Then, next walk, they do everything right, don't bark at any dogs and act like little stars.

Hope you and the doglets are ok x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >