Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Teki
New Member!
Female 

25-12-2016, 01:30 AM

Inappropriate Feedings

My roommate keeps feeding my dog inappropriately. It drives me crazy.
I have a 4 year old lab/mix who has become food obsessed, food aggressive, and possessive. He is also starting to display other dominance issues as well.
He has been gaining weight rapidly. Last time he was weighed he was 69 pounds. The vet even said he should lose a few. I'm sure he's at least 80 now and it has only been a year.
When he was a puppy I raised him using treats as a reward only. Very rarely he would get a "just because" treat. I had planned on it always being that way. If he ever got people food it was an extremely rare occasion and it was something that was healthy for him. Feeding was at a set schedule and his food was measured out. In return he has learned all his tricks, is obedient on first command, and didn't seem to display any negative behavior problems. People would compliment because he was so well behaved.
Everything is different now.
Whenever my roommate walks to the kitchen my dog runs from wherever he is to be in there too. He sits and begs even if my roommate is just washing dishes. My roommate praises him and will treat him when he's begging. He also free feeds his dogs. On average, between the four dogs, they get a minimum of 20-30 cups of dog food a day!! This is between two large dogs, a small dog, and a toy dog. Sometimes more if the bowls are filled up more than twice. If he sees the bowls are empty at 8PM he fills them. We also suffer the consequences of feeding just before bedtime. The little ones will shit on the floor. I have to usually clean it up. I did the math and between the four dogs they shouldn't have more than 10 cups a day. On top of that they get people food in the morning - lunch meat, leftover meat, cheese etc. Every single morning. This has caused my dog to pace in the middle of the night because waking up means people food. They always get a raw hide when we eat dinner. After dinner they get the fat off the meat. They get random dog treats if they follow him around enough. They have him trained. My dog looks bloated all the time. His begging is out of control. He is starting to display other behavioral issues - inappropriate barking, growling at the other dogs, begging etc.
I have mentioned numerous times throughout the years that I don't want my dog eating people food - especially seasoned meat, fries, chips, or anything bad for him. He used to always want to table feed those things. I have been called a bitch because I have told him to stop. He tells me he doesn't feed my dog then he turns around and feeds him.
I used to live and work for a dog behaviorist so negative behaviors drive me nuts. Especially since I know how to correct them. He had a dog last year die of pancreatitis. He was also overweight, possessive, and aggressive.
The only thing I can do is distance my feelings for my dog. The bad behavior, the fact that he may have complications in the future because of this...
Moving out isn't feasible right now. My roommate doesn't think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to these things. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking chips, fried fat, and constant feeding for no reason is NOT ok... any suggestions besides leaving? :/ I feel as if this is a no win situation.
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

25-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Well mine do get all sorts of human food and have good manners and weight so it's more of an issue with how it's being done. If I have something I don't want a dog interacting with I tie them to me and crate them when I can't supervise. I control the situation. It's never been a human I've had to deal with but I would step in as the leader of the pack and send my dog right back where it came from and keep it on leash if necessary to stay away from the thing causing problems. Use your own healthy treats to remind of food rules, staying where they are told, and they will likely make noise at first. It's your dog so step in and make it your dog. If I see my husband reinforcing bad behavior around food I will be right there fixing it whether he listens or not until he has no choice. If you plan to move out eventually who cares what your roommate thinks. I have to be a little more tactful than a temporary situation would warrant sometimes.

Unfortunately when you aren't there and your roommate is would be the biggest issue. Of course your dog will complain if he's confined, if you have neighbors that is also an issue, and I have heard many peoples' roommates or spouses then let the dog out or feed it anyway while the person is away. My husband wouldn't dream of it. I don't just rule the dog part of the pack Providing a healthier, longer lasting option like a frozen kong with a low calorie treat (we are talking about labs so usually they are far less picky than mine would be) or their meal for the day. If you've got the money doggy daycare. Some will do by the hour if you just have a few hours of classes or part time job. They get exercise, socialization, and no food.
ParisMatch
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2016, 02:47 AM
Your room mate is killing your dog as an overweight over fed dog has a shorter life expectancy and many more long term health issues. Make a stand, it's your dog you have a choice choose wisely. Perhaps show your room mate some sites on diseases in over weight dogs and ask them is this what they want to happen to your dog. Nothing is more certain your dog is at risk, I'm sure your roommate isn't meaning to be cruel, however they are actually abusing your dog you can't stand by and let that continue, the dog knows no better. You do!