Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Diddly64
New Member!
Female 

19-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Dog Food!!

Hi

I have been feeding my dogs Applaws but with 4 dogs it is costing about £100 a month minimum to feed them which I cannot afford to continue. I have 2 labradoodles,a lurcher and yorkie/llaso cross, 2 of whom are very active and 2 are reasonably active. I think that the Lurcher needs a food with less protein. She was previously on Arden Grange Junior but has now decided that she won't eat that and the other 3 won't eat it either!

The Yorkie X has breath that would knock you back at 100 paces (not her teeth!) and the lurcher gets an upset stomach occasionally.. does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a cheaper alternative?
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2013, 02:12 PM
This website is good for checking out if a food is any good, it will also give you a price per day if you put your dogs details in...
http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk

My friends and I have found it very useful
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 02:18 PM
My Frodo (lurcher too!) can have a bit of a dicky tum with some brands.
He's on Wainwright's Puppy Salmon and Potato right now and is doing fab - fur nice and soft, no squirty poos and no stinky breath either. My two terriers are happy to try and eat as much as they can of it too haha
A 15kg is around £40, but P@H usually has plenty of offers on; our last bag was only £30 so a darn sight cheaper than Applaws lol

I've been looking in to Fish4Dogs too as mine loved their trial packs - P@H has one called Fishmongers Finest that seems pretty similar, but they don't do a puppy one
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Mine has a sensitive stomach, I found Fish 4 Dogs & Wainwright Salmon & potato worked well for him.
Diddly64
New Member!
Female 

19-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi.. Thanks for your replies. Will have a look at Wainwrights and Fish 4 Dogs. Does anyone feed Skinners.. Another recommendation.. If so how do you find it?
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I used to spend loads on dog food. For the past year I have been feeding mine on the local farmers coop own brand working mix with lidl chub to make it a bit more interesting, they also get most of our scraps and a meaty bone 3 times a week.
It costs me a fraction of what burns did and the dogs all look good on it, Rigsby sometimes has a sensitive stomach and then he has tinned chappie.

Really it all depends on your dog though, my old terrier had a really bad reaction to a brand of dog food years ago and came out in hot spots which cleared up when we changed the food.

Hopefully you will find something that suits your dogs and budget. A lot of farmers co-ops sell 'maintenance' food for a dog out of work which tends to have lower protein, might be worth looking at.
Diddly64
New Member!
Female 

19-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for that Pookin. Not sure we have anything like that locally but interesting to hear what others feed. I know that a lot of people don't like cereals etc in dog food but I think that they suit some dogs more. My lurcher is very greedy and seems to be better on foods that have cereals in them.. Perhaps they fill her up more also her stools are much more firm when she has a food with cereals.. Someone recommended Skinners Ruff n Ready.. Does anyone feed this or have any experience of feeding it?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 01:15 AM
You won't do better than Wait weights, its a good food at an affordable price - exclusive to Pets at Home. Skinners didnt agree with ours - Wainwrights did.