View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 08:08 AM
My dogs and cockatiel get on really well! When the dogs are wrestling or having a tug of war, Fonzy gets ever so excited and kicks up a racket as if he wants to join in.

The cage is at one end of the settee, and one of the dogs will usually choose to curl up at that end and Fonzy will get as close as he can to them.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Though bearing in mind Remus's talent for destruction, I can imagine he'd soon have the cage over and be trying to get inside!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I have a similar problem with Faye,does not like to be left alone,but when I have to go to hospital there is no choice,I leave a radio on Channel 5,no music just several voices talking,but just recently looked after a neigbours bird a Cockatiel it is very noisy,went up to the village only about half an hour left the dogs in the kitchen with the bird,it wasnt planned,but got back,both dogs curled under the cage,the bird was making a din but faye who has really bad anxiety issues and pees poos and being sick,was really chilled out.so started watching the interaction,the bird likes showing off,and the dogs dont know how to react,but just stare and there heads are turning trying to work out what the noise is,the cockertiel emits whistles and sometimes a phone,normally if the phone goes in our house,faye goes into one,but they now sit in the kitchen,even if I go into the lounge which is unheard off.So maybe getting a bird maybe the answer.Gemini54
How funny!
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
My dogs and cockatiel get on really well! When the dogs are wrestling or having a tug of war, Fonzy gets ever so excited and kicks up a racket as if he wants to join in.

The cage is at one end of the settee, and one of the dogs will usually choose to curl up at that end and Fonzy will get as close as he can to them.
I dog sat once for people with two dogs and an African grey parrot. One of the dogs was a calm little fluffy girls but Hughie was a really big lovely staffie cross who liked to run around a lot. When ever he ran out the room the parrot who whistle him and call in their owners voice 'huuuuuuuughieeeeeee huuuuughiieeeeeeee come here boy!' Cue Hughie tearing down the corridor into the lounge and landing on your lap 'I'm here! Didn't I do well!' He never caught on that it was the parrot and the parrot didn't do it Daisy the other dogs, possibly because she didn't give such a pleasing reaction.

Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Though bearing in mind Remus's talent for destruction, I can imagine he'd soon have the cage over and be trying to get inside!
Oh yes.

Well last night one of my girls wasn't feeling well so was up in the night so I ran out of time to empty and refil the dishwasher. This morning she just wanted cuddles and stories so I ran out of time to do it before preschool. As Remus is the worse thief ever he had to go in the crate, cable tied because he will just let himself out when he's and enough otherwise. I was gone 40 minutes and in had a wee before I left......and I can back to wee all over the bedding which he had ripped up. The crate has to stay because otherwise Remus will have to be on a lead attached to me anytime I am cooking or taking food to and from the table as he WILL with out doubt take whatever he can the second I move away from the worksurface....but I just can't leave him in the crate when I am not in the house. Thanks to dog Monitor I know that on the school preschool drop off he and Tonks just sleep together, and the same once he's left after his big walk...so I will just have to settle to that.

I've never had a dog that was so resistant to crate training, whether its because of his being absconded in a derelict caravan with his brother as tiny puppies or because of how he was introduced to the crate initially...I don't know.....but I give up. I can't be doing with all the tidying up and washing bedding everytime I try to leave him in it. It's morning I put him in there while the girls where having breakfast and he tolerated for as long as he wanted to be there having a snooze...then woke up and let himself out.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 10:35 AM
And now he's sulking in his crate after I finally reached the end of my teather with the stealing. I've been emptying dishwasher, tidying surfaces, putting washing out etc, and packing a lunch for carys to take on a walk and Remus has been up on the work surfaces, table, in the bin etc etc. Hes just taken a packet of cheese biscuits off the work top right next to me ....three times in a row......three times and your out! So the crate it is!

He's had a kong...he still has a kong but the need to steal overwhelms the need to steal other stuff!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Poor you,they say Lurcher in romney means thief,I solved that by pure accident,my late dalmation was always surfing the worktop,I was chopping up garlic tomato and a jalepeno chilli,went to get something,found the dalmation butt in the air rubbing his face he then dashed into the lounge rubbing his face on the carpet trying to get his paws into his mouth,it didnt click,thought he had been stung,he then rushed into the downstairs loo and dunked his whole head in the toilet bowl , I was just thinking about ringing the vet,he then slunk in,he normally only does that if he has done something wrong comes in crawling on his belly ears flat,I then realised he had been surfing,but this time he had bitten off more then he could chew.But from that day on he never surfed the worktop,sometimes the table.He was off his food for a few days and we checked his mouth,which is pink anyway,rang the vet,he just chuckled and said he probably didnt eat enough to do any damage,but that will teach him,and it did,he still went on hoovering under the table for any tasty titbits but he never ever came near the worksurface.Gemini54
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Pepe is a counter surfer - I don't think he'd be clever enough to learn his lesson like the dalmation.

Lots of my animals seem to be a bit thick. I had a cat that singed her whiskers not once but several times by strolling across the oven hob. The same cat tried several times to jump over the pond, always missing and landing in the water.

And Jessie the cocker spaniel used to stick her head in the oven as soon as I opened the door. How she didn't burn herself I don't know, but rather than waiting for it to happen I had to shut her out of the kitchen when I was cooking.

And yet, strangely, my lurcher was as good as gold and I can't remember her stealing anything!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't think Remus will ever learn....the possibility of food and the possibility of never eating again will always be too strong. He's burnt himself once trying to pull a big saucepan of food off the back hob....but will still try. Hence why he is crate when I'm cooking.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Haha....and now he's just eaten a poo out of the potty while I was wiping Carys' bottoml!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2013, 03:37 PM
As I sed
On the other
Fred...

...You should have dished it up properly!

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
As I sed
On the other
Fred...

...You should have dished it up properly!

Hahahahahahahahaha
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4