Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Hello Nelsons Mum,

If you dont mind, I would like to pose a few questions to you.

1) Did you agree with the smoking ban?

2) Do you believe that any drugs should be legalised (for example? did you agree with the recent decriminalisation of marijuana?)

3) Do you agree that I should have the right to type swear on this forum, and that all swear words should be allowed on TV and the radio at any time?

Please bear with my madness, it IS totally on topic

cheers, Martin
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Political?
Surely if they wanted to keep in line with Europe there are better ways, like say, adopting the Euro????

As for the number of dog owners on the committee, what does that have to do with it? If they are drafting legislation about murder, do they all have to have experienced it?

Tail docking is seen as a mutilation and it was only 11 votes short of being banned completely.
Tail docking hurts the pups. That is why it was banned. It was banned because every animal welfare organisation in the country, masses of scientific evidence, all say pups feel pain at the age they are docked.
I've stood and watched a vet amputate tails and dew claws on 11 puppies that were 3 days old, it was all over in less than 10 minuites, there was no whimpering or screaming, no blood, and the puppies were back with mum sucking away as if nothing had happened. if vets had any concern about it being cruel why have they continued the practice for years and years .
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hello Nelsons Mum,

If you dont mind, I would like to pose a few questions to you.

1) Did you agree with the smoking ban?

2) Do you believe that any drugs should be legalised (for example? did you agree with the recent decriminalisation of marijuana?)

3) Do you agree that I should have the right to type swear on this forum, and that all swear words should be allowed on TV and the radio at any time?

Please bear with my madness, it IS totally on topic

cheers, Martin
1=yes,2=no,3=no,
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I am sure they would rather have the option of having one visit for docking when pups, rather than the agony they go through when amputation is required when adults.
It has been proven that neonates feel pain considerably more than adults for one thing, and if having an amputation as an adult the pain of the procedure is not a factor due to being under GA for it as well as being given pain meds to ensure the dogs comfort afterward.

Having an amputee dog myself, [ rear leg ], knowing him as I do, I guarantee you the pain of his op and his recovery was managed so well by my vet that the worst pain involved was suffered by me in headaches from worry and upset, not by him with any physical pain. Oh, his stitches were little itchy for him as the skin healed which is a normal but not painful part of all skin recovery be it dog, human, cat, etc, and be it amputation, spay, or any other skin cut needing stitches.

Pain relief and GA are what make tail amputation considerably easier on an adult dog than conscious amputation with no pain relief on a puppy.
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
It has been proven that neonates feel pain considerably more than adults for one thing, and if having an amputation as an adult the pain of the procedure is not a factor due to being under GA for it as well as being given pain meds to ensure the dogs comfort afterward.

Having an amputee dog myself, [ rear leg ], knowing him as I do, I guarantee you the pain of his op and his recovery was managed so well by my vet that the worst pain involved was suffered by me in headaches from worry and upset, not by him with any physical pain. Oh, his stitches were little itchy for him as the skin healed which is a normal but not painful part of all skin recovery be it dog, human, cat, etc, and be it amputation, spay, or any other skin cut needing stitches.

Pain relief and GA are what make tail amputation considerably easier on an adult dog than conscious amputation with no pain relief on a puppy.
OK. tell me why vets have continued the practice until april this year. vets swear an oath to alleviate animal suffering , if there was any doubt in a vets mind that he/she was causing unnecessary pain to a dog they would have stopped doing it years ago.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
it's purely a politcal decision, in my view, to follow what's happened on continental europe. i would like to know how many members that sat on the commitee that drafted the bill actually own dogs or have ever owned dogs. someone help me with this please .
You can get full info regarding all relevent consultations from DEFRA

Mutilations and Tail Docking Consultation Responses
Animal Welfare Act Team, Area 506
1A Page Street
Westminster
London SW1P 4PQ

"The Information Resource Centre will supply copies of consultation responses to personal callers or in response to telephone or email requests (tel: 020 7238 6575, or email defra.library@defra.gsi.gov.uk). Wherever possible personal callers should give the library at least 24 hours’ notice of their requirements. An administrative charge will be made to cover photocopying and postage costs."

For quick reference, this is just one of the politicians involved, speaking in Parliament during the Bill process, from

http://www.publications.parliament.u...307-gc0002.htm

"The Countess of Mar: It might help the Committee if I say that I am going to object to the Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations, and it might be better if we took that one separately.

The Countess of Mar: I declare my interest as an honorary associate of both the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the British Veterinary Association. I have been, but am not currently, an owner of working dogs. I am speaking only to the Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations 2007."
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I was going to keep out of this as I find it quite emotive and as I come from a 'shooting' family but I have to say in my experience I've never come across any of our dogs (over 40 years) sustaining injuries needed them to have their tails docked. I know that the farther you go back then yes the more dogs we had in those days most already had their tails docked but in recent years...no not any. This is from someone whose dad had a shoot, both my brothers and my son now have a shoot and yes some of their dogs are docked, but not all. I've seen many injuries over the years from getting caught on barbed wire..cuts on bellies and so on needing stitches. Blackthorns stuck in paws but not any injury to a tail which required docking..never. So I'm afraid I don't buy that argument!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:21 PM
ramble- look at the post earlier today about the spaniel that has had 4 tail injuries.
Nelson`s Mum, look at the post about my Willow on the banding thread... [ post 18 there ]
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:26 PM
, if there was any doubt in a vets mind that he/she was causing unnecessary pain to a dog they would have stopped doing it years ago.
I've known many more vets that refuse to do docking than are happy to carry it out.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I've known many more vets that refuse to do docking than are happy to carry it out.
Have you? I havent, in fact I have only met one that wouldnt.
Page 9 of 30 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »