Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Opinions on the Dremel

So, much to my surprise, when Nigredo went to get his nails clipped a few days ago, when they pulled out the nail clippers, he balked big time. He refused, absolutely refused, to let them clip his claws. He wouldn't be still at all.

The ladies called in a man named Ira to hold him still while they clipped, but when they pulled the clippers back out, Nigredo unleashed all his 40 kg of power and fury on everyone in there. He overpowered three humans and went flying off the table and came running to the door trying to get back to me.

I guess he remembers them having to slice him up last time. In my illness, the rear dew claws got neglected and they had to cut into the quick as the claws were nearly into the pads and the quick had grown all the way to the bottom, it was quite bloody. He calmly sat through the clipping the last time, so I had no idea that he'd be like this. I think he was scared they'd hurt him again. Poor dude.

Due to his clear refusal, they tried the Dremel instead. He was perfect with that. They were kind enough not to charge me for it. So, now that is the way to go. No way will he ever see another clipper in his life.

I'll have to buy one soon, anybody use them? What do you think?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2015, 03:06 PM
I have one, but dont use it due to Figo hating it, mind he hates having his nails clipped to, but yes, they are good, you get a better result with them. if your dog lets you use one, then I would invest, you dont have to spend a fortune on one, a battery one is OK.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I have both the pet dremel and the normal cordless dremel.

Mouse is fine with it or clippers. Dremel is just a bit easyer to stay out the quick due to his solid black nails.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Syd wouldn't let me near him with clippers and his nails were really thick so required a fair bit of effort too, with the dremel he used to fall asleep while I was doing it, and he didn't like me using it on the others either. It was great till it stopped working, I can't change the collet as it just spins around. No point getting it fixed I'll just wait till I see one on offer again. Cordless every time though.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Soph is terrified of anything that buzzes so it wouldn't work for her. Callie is fine with clipping. We found a gentle groomer who can clip at warp speed. She's done before Sophie can panic completely.
Interesting though...for human acrylic nails they use a dremel to shape them. The only bad thing is when they go too far and hit your real nail bed, ouch!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2015, 02:58 AM
Kris, my Doberman, has never liked her nails clipped. I bought a Demel but never ended up using it. I found if I had her standing and lifted her feet like you do when cleaning out a horse's foot, she just stood there. Just hated to lie down and get done. All my small dogs just sit on the grooming table and let me clip their nails.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Nigredo was fine until after a fiasco with claws that had to be clipped beneath the quick. I'm not even sure he'd panic with me clipping his claws, but he was so upset and he was having none of that.

He did perfectly with the Dremel, and I think it's the best way to go. With his double rear dews, it makes more sense to grind them... it's SO hard to angle a cut and they're pitch black and so thick.

Jade refuses to let anybody hold her feet.. but luckily enough, no double dews and her feet are pretty heavily splayed, so they easily wear down, unlike my big potato head.