Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Matted

Hi guys, this is mainly a question for owners of hard coated breeds so Hi Olive and Mini

Archie's fur, especially on his legs, is getting tangles really easily. I groom him every day when I can or every other day, but even right after I groom him if he goes for a play his fur starts to get tangled straight away and by the next day it's getting matted It's the undercoat that gets matted more than anything and the tangles are quite hard to get out.

Is there anything I can use to help prevent tangles but that won't soften his coat?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 09:47 AM
I have the same problem with our Bichons legs, they get matted very easily too and he hates me trying to get them out I can't really think of anything that will make things easier, I just ask the groomer to cut his legs short when he is groomed.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks Foxy

I can't really cut Archie's leg hair short as he's meant to be hand stripped.... Also I wouldn't want to as the leg hairs are meant to be long and fluffy and IMO the prettiest part of a wire But thanks for trying anyway
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I have the same problem with our Bichons legs, they get matted very easily too and he hates me trying to get them out I can't really think of anything that will make things easier, I just ask the groomer to cut his legs short when he is groomed.
i know wot u mean foxy, scruffy is easier to deal with when hes just been shaved off,lol.

sorry tuti, cant help u here
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi Tuti and the lovely Archie Amy has really long soft white leg hair so I have to comb her most days to keep the tangles out When we have been down the fields and come back green with cow poo I stand her in a bowl and just wash her legs not the rest of her If you wash Archies legs and put a little good quality conditioner on afterwards before the last rinse it will help with the tangles
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks Mini

I wasn't sure if it is ok to use conditioner just on the legs... As far as I know the leg hair is a bit softer than the rest of the body so I'll try the conditioner Is this a doggy conditioner or a normal human one ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi tuti, I wonder if they do a doggy serum, like they do for human hair, like a shine spray, as this would keep the hair softer and stop it matting together. Why not phone a dog groomers up and enquire, or do a search. You need something you can spray on the dry hair without the need to bath and condition him which obviously you can't do every day, and also too much bathing will wash all the natural oils out which in turn keep the hair from getting matted. Just a thought tuti.