Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 08:26 PM

knee problems

my mums dog scruffy has a problem with his joints, as far as i know his knees dislocate, which i think is called 'luxating patella', correct me if im wrong?
anyway, my mums friends vet said he had the problem but said hes probably had it all his life.

anyway, what im asking is, is it damaging to take him for an hour to hour and a half walk every day with my 2? i dont want to do him even more damage. He is slow on walks, sometimes i pick him up for 5 mins for him to catch his breath,lol.

the other day in the field near me we met up with this guy with his staffie, anyway his dog ran over scruffy followed by my two bombing over him and left him squealing in pain and limping, i couldnt touch him without him squealing more.. anyway, he was limping for about 5 minutes and then stopped, so i assumed he had knocked his knee out of place and he'd put it back in himself. this is wot the vet said he can go anyway, or we can put it back in for him
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Jenny,

Yes I know Bichons are prone to luxating patella which is a slipped kneecap In my Bichon book it says that many dogs can live with it without experiencing pain, but surgery is necessary in some cases. Apparently the dog being overweight can make it worse (right thats Benji on a diet then )

Perhaps it would be best if you didn't give him so much exercise now that he has a problem. Our dog gets a 40-50 min walk at morning and 15 mins at night and a run in the garden when he wants.