Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Upset, and not sure what to do...

Some of you will know, that there is a dog in my local park who has attacked Jake a few times. Jake has never been injured (well, not that i can see but he could be bruised etc), but he has been seriously scared by it. Whenever he sees Rocky, he gets all nervous and on edge, and would keep a distance from him… if Rocky approached him, then Jake would come running behind me and Rocky would never dare start anything with me nearby. Rockys owner used to shout at me for avoiding her, and therefore other dogs owner who I was walking with stayed away coz I was… also, Rocky attacked another dog and the dogs owner called the police, who said that he may get PTS. Which of course never happened, but she seemed to blame me even though I wasn’t the one who called the police… I think now though, she sees how scared Jake is of Rocky and has been nice to me.

Last week though, there was another incident… and I totally take responsibility. I was standing with two other people who were talking to Rockys owner, so I stood back coz Rocky was there and Jake stood further back (offlead). Rockys owner then approached Jake, who was standing with his head and tail down, to give him a biscuit… Rocky has followed his owner, and then launched at Jake. He tried to run away, but Rocky was knocking Jake sideways so he was struggling to keep standing, never mind run away… Rockys owner grabbed him though, and Jake took off. It took ages for me to get him back, and he had run to the other side of the park, he was terrified. I should have told her not to approach him...

The next day she came up to me (without Rocky) and apologised, saying that she hope Jake is ok and that she will keep a distance from us now. The whole time she was talking, Jake was pulling back on his lead. So, we have seen them since and Jake has watched them, but when he sees they are going in the opposite direction, he calms down and is all happy again.

Today though, I was walking with another dog walker and his dog. His dog wandered off though, and we were looking for her for ages and she wasn’t coming back. Rockys owner saw us, and so went home to put Rocky in the house (she lives right next to the park) and came to help us. I thought Jake would be fine coz Rocky wasnt there. But the second Jake saw her, he took off running… he ran right round the edge of the park in a big circle, and then out the gate. I was tearing after him, calling his name… and thankfully I also live right next to the park, so I went home to find Jake sitting on the step. He looked so scared… and so sad, and wouldn’t come to me when I called… as soon as I was in reach though, he jumped all over me, wanting cuddles. I took him in the house, and he just lay in his bed… I went back out to find the Willows owner to let him know I got Jake back. I saw Rockys owner heading home, so asked Jake if he wanted to come, and he wouldn’t budge so I left him behind.

I just don’t know what to do… it is so upsetting and horrible to see him so scared, and upset. I sometimes cant help seeing Rocky in the park, coz his owner changes the time when she goes out… and I meet up with the same people every morning, and we walk round the park together so the dogs all have a good play… the three dogs are thick as thieves and adore each other… Jake would hate to not get his morning play. I would hate to have to completely change the time I walk him, and it would have to be a completely different time to definitely know I wont see her… He seems fine though, if both her and her dog keep their distance (he must now really associate her with fear and pain, since last time it happened when she was going to give him a treat)… but the woman still walks her dog off lead, and although he usually keeps his distance, he sometimes has come close so I just put Jake on the lead and he doesn’t come right up to us.

I just don’t know whats the best thing to do… What would everyone else do?

The incidents with Rocky has also affect Jakes behaviour when he meets other male dogs

Sorry it is so long
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
You can't control what other people do, or how they manage their dogs, however inappropriate it is. I have had a similar situation with someone with one of my dogs.

Ime the only thing you can sensibly do is to just steer clear. Go for the walks with is friends but if she turns up put Jake on lead, so he doesn't bolt and so you can protect him, and go home.

It isn't worth risking anything else imo. I would prefer to appear impolite that to risk my dog.

Good Luck.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Could you perhaps speak to Rocky's owner and see whether she'd mind helping you get Jake over this issue with a bit of training - if the owner can just stand in the park and you can work on, very slowly, getting Jake to approach closer and closer with lots of treats and not pushing him beyond his comfort level. It's not quite the same but Kiki is scared of one of my friends (for no apparently reason other than she does look similar to Kiki's old owner) and we're working on getting her used to my friend - Kiki's a lot happy if my friend totally ignores her and doesn't try to calm/appease her with fuss or treats or anything.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh dear, poor Jake, he sounds absolutely traumatised by the whole thing doesn't he, even if he sees just the owner on her own. I'm afraid I would be finding somewhere else to walk if I could, or if you want to stick with that place, then I'd be making sure there is no chance either Rockie OR the owner was there. If you're friendly enough with her, and she lives near enough, can't you give her a quick ring if you want to go out, or even knock on her door, just to check you're safe for an hour or whatever?

I have the same thing up on our village green, even though Zena loves playing with all the dogs up there in the mornings, I can't possibly risk it because of the two new Glasgow rescues that are about, they hate her with a passion, and charge right across the green to get to her, and I just can't put her in that position ever again, even though they told me she'd be alright, she wasn't on the last occasion, so it's a no-go area for me. I do, however, go up there mid-day sometimes coz I know they won't be there, and other dogs will, so she gets a chance to play with those who do like her.

At the end of the day lozzie, you've got to think of Jake really haven't you? You know how the old saying goes, never put your dog into a situation that YOU can't control, and you just can't control this one can you with that other dog always offlead.

It's a pity you're so friendly with her, otherwise I'd suggest phoning the dog warden coz it does sound like a very aggressive dog to me. Maybe it's just Jake that it doesn't like, same thing I have here with those two on the green?! Maybe that's the reason WHY she wants to be friendly with everybody else, so that nobody reports her perhaps? It's a difficult one, but you can't put Jake through that again if you can help it.. Good luck.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Have you thought about putting your dog on a long line, so that he can run etc but not escape?

It is extremely thoughtless and potentially dangerous to offer food to other people's dog even if you have their permission as of course food is a valuable resource and it is natural for dogs to fight over access to it, thus this owner appears to have no real dog knowledge.

Your dog's welfare is paramount and far more important than the feelings of this woman.

Even if you HAD reported the dog to the police (and I always report any such incidents to both the police and the dog warden) she should not be miffed at you. She has a duty of care to her own dog and that of others and other owners, if she cannot or will not fulfil that responsibility and puts others at risk then she needs education.

Will your dog play fetch whilst on a long line etc?

regards
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm not exactly friendly with her... i just say hi, but a few months ago she was shouting at me everytime i saw her, saying that if Rocky was PTS, that it was my fault. I did think last time of reporting her, but she looks a bit rough and she has hit the people on the off road bikes before, so i would be worried if i reported her coz she knows who it would be. She is friendly enough though, when she doesnt have a problem with you.

I dont really have many places i can walk him, i dont drive so for a regular place to go to... the park is by far the easiest coz it is literally right next to my house. When i have free days, and days off work, i sometimes hop on the bus and go somewhere different but it isnt really handy for everyday.

I have a long line for him, but i havent used it for ages since his recall has been better. He never normally runs off like that, but it was just coz he was so scared. He probably would play fetch on a long line.

I dont think it was the food that caused it... his owner gives all the dogs treats and Rocky is usually always fine... he just doesnt like Jake... i think it is coz he is male (both dogs are neutered) and coz of Jakes age. Rocky doesnt like puppies, and that is the first thing his owner says when she sees people with pups (i know lots of dogs dont like pups, but he goes way beyond just telling them off)... so the whole park knows what he is like. He has bitten loads of the dogs when they were pups, so its not just Jake... although he never met Jake until he was over a year coz i knew what Rocky was like. He was fine with Jake over the summer and was never aggressive towards him. it has only been since Jake turned about 18 months, that this has been happening (if i remember right, the first time was in September which is when Jake was exactly 18 months). So his owner thinks that it is coz Rocky sees Jake as a threat.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
There is a very simple solution. Dont go in the park again. Walk him elsewhere.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
There is a very simple solution. Dont go in the park again. Walk him elsewhere.
but where can i walk him? there is no where else i can go on a regular basis...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but where can i walk him? there is no where else i can go on a regular basis...
Anywhere but where he is clearly very frightened. Road walk him? Far more stimulating for a dog, works all their muscles and gets them very fit.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Well if owners will not report dogs and their owners for this sort of behaviour there are no consequences for either and thus no motivation for the owner to improve their manners and control.

People make all sorts of excuses for their dogs' poor behaviour, I have even been told that the reason one of my dogs was attacked was because their dog does not like dogs on leads.

They have a somewhat different approach now when I enlightened them to the law, reported them to the police and the dog warden etc which has resulted in the dog being under control.

This dog owner should stop excusing her and her dog's poor behaviour and do something about it instead of trying to lay the blame elsewhere.

Protect your dog from injury from other dogs or people, and if they do not like it, tough!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >