Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Regular ear infections

Hello all my little milo keeps getting ear infections to the point where he is crying as it's itching so much for the past 3 years he has had trouble with his eyes and years and the vets keep telling me it's an allergy so we changed his food but he wouldn't eat the new one. We seem to think it's the grass as if he rubs his face in the grass they become sore. So I have regular visits to the vets as u can imagine, they won't give me drops if I just ring up milo has to have the full check. Is there any home remedies they I could use for his ears? And any advice on food? I recently had a new puppy and she is starting to scratch now too I dunno whether u can catch the infection but she seems to b doing the sme xx
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Otex ear drops are easy to use and kill ear mites if that is the problem. It will help to alleviate the itchy problem..
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2014, 09:19 AM
What food are you feeding? have you thought about feeding raw food? Sometimes ear infections are caused by yeast, which if feeding a grain based food there is a lot of. Thornit powder is good for ears.
If you dont want to go down the raw route, have a look at some of the grain free food Canagen, Acana and Taste of the Wild are quite good. I know most is expensive, but as you are spending quite a bit of money at the vets anyway, it might work out cheaper in the long run. Also you done feed as much as some of the cheaper dog foods.
Hope you can get it sorted.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2014, 09:20 AM
ive heard good things about something called Thornit if i remember rightly

what are you feeding? You could try raw?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
ive heard good things about something called Thornit if i remember rightly

what are you feeding? You could try raw?
Would never be without it .

You can buy it on line or at any dog show, if its a mite infection it works wonders....... anyway its worth a try it wont do any harm .
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2014, 09:07 AM
You could always ask your vet to test for allergies to find out exactly what the problem is then treat accordingly, that way you won't have to keep going back and forth or changing food etc (unless it is food of course)
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Years ago I had a poodle that had constant ear infections. The vet knocked him out and shaved all the hair out of his ears going very deep into his ears. He then got antibiotic ear drops that could get down deep enough to help the infection. I also poured peroxide into his ears and washed his ears out with a washcloth wrapped around my finger. Getting the hair and gunk out of his ears made it a lot easier for the meds to get to the right place. I also used auralgan ear drops that I had for my children to kill the pain.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
Years ago I had a poodle that had constant ear infections. The vet knocked him out and shaved all the hair out of his ears going very deep into his ears. He then got antibiotic ear drops that could get down deep enough to help the infection. I also poured peroxide into his ears and washed his ears out with a washcloth wrapped around my finger. Getting the hair and gunk out of his ears made it a lot easier for the meds to get to the right place. I also used auralgan ear drops that I had for my children to kill the pain.
I think you must mention that this is very DILUTE peroxide - not the sort you bleach your hair with !

Thornitt is especially for ears and it is a dilute bleach - better go that route !

I use Four Paws ear cleaner for itchy ears and this works for keeping on top of infections. However, I think the most likely cause is that you have not continued with the ear drops for long enough to clear up the infection completely so a little remains behind and starts off again.
If it is an allergy to grass or pollen Piriton can help - start giving daily before the pollen season starts like you would with someone with hayfever.

If your new dog it itching too - look at what you wash their bedding with and which products you use for cleaning - especially shake & vac type products and stuff like air fresheners.

Sounds like a difficult job to narrow it down to whatever is causing the problem.

Some allergies are related to food, however most are environmental.

Thalice's Mum
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2014, 03:20 PM
The kind we get in the stores here is already diluted. I think it's 2%. To bleach your hair you have to go to a beauty supply shop to get 20%. I didn't realize pure bleach even existed, anywhere. Glad you caught it and explained.
MilosOwner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks all he was on bakers cos he wouldn't eat any other dog food but now I got him bk on an hypo allergetic food purine make? I've bought expensive food before now and he wouldn't eat it ****** lol xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >