Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would try to build up her independence in the house - probably time to wean her out of your bed and into her own bed, don't let her follow you around the house (use babygates between rooms if you have to), start to teach her to "settle" on a mat slightly away from you, etc., this may help. I know it will be tough but it's better for her in the long run to not be so dependant on you.
she has got a bed she will go to, when all her crying and pleading fails and its definately me that needs to toughen up, i don`t want her stressed everytime we have to leave her.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Also it might be worth looking into something like a DAP spray, plug-in or collar (Beaphar do a collar at a better price too), these are pheromone based so calm the dog down. They don't work with every dog but may help.
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Also it might be worth looking into something like a DAP spray, plug-in or collar (Beaphar do a collar at a better price too), these are pheromone based so calm the dog down. They don't work with every dog but may help.
never heard of them, it cant be a collar as she is far too tiny to get 1 to fit, but could try the plug-in, where would i find one of those?
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by mattsgal View Post
never heard of them, it cant be a collar as she is far too tiny to get 1 to fit, but could try the plug-in, where would i find one of those?
are they safe for such a young puppy? or do i need to wait until shes a little older?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
DAP make a puppy and small breed collar and I believe the design means they can go as small as you need so one might fit.
http://www.dap-pheromone.com
Their website mentions using the collar from 6 weeks old to allow puppies to settle. It also has a bit saying
"Staying Home Alone

Spending time alone can be challenging for a puppy unused to solitude. Excessive vocalization and attention seeking behaviours are common.

Using DAP® to reduce early signs of separation problems or to help young dogs cope with staying home alone

• A DAP® Diffuser should be plugged in, preferably at floor level next to where the dog is going to sleep and spend time while alone.

• The diffuser should be switched on continuously for at least 4 weeks.

If a dog is showing sings of a stress-related problem, the dog should be referred to a qualified behavioural therapist. Puppies are unlikely to grow out of a behaviour problem. "
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
DAP make a puppy and small breed collar and I believe the design means they can go as small as you need so one might fit.
http://www.dap-pheromone.com
Their website mentions using the collar from 6 weeks old to allow puppies to settle. It also has a bit saying
"Staying Home Alone

Spending time alone can be challenging for a puppy unused to solitude. Excessive vocalization and attention seeking behaviours are common.

Using DAP® to reduce early signs of separation problems or to help young dogs cope with staying home alone

• A DAP® Diffuser should be plugged in, preferably at floor level next to where the dog is going to sleep and spend time while alone.

• The diffuser should be switched on continuously for at least 4 weeks.

If a dog is showing sings of a stress-related problem, the dog should be referred to a qualified behavioural therapist. Puppies are unlikely to grow out of a behaviour problem. "
thankyou for the advice its really useful, i will take a look at the site, and keep everyone informed of Mouse`s progress x
Rippydog
New Member!
Male 

02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Try leaving a radio on so that she thinks there are still people in the house, Radio 4 is good for that. Also try leaving an old t-shirt or pair of socks in her bed so that she has the smell of you around while you're out.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2