View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Constant Conjunctivitis - Any Advice greatly received!!

Hello,

I am have a real problem with what I think is conjunctivitis in both of Dougies eyes. When we got him he had red-eye (but no sign of infection) which we and the rspca put down to him living in smokey pub.

His eyes settled down and the red faded - only re-accuring when tired / excited.

He then got what we thought was conjunctivitis, red gooey eyes. Tried eyedrops from boots but with no luck as he wouldnt let me near his eyes. The muzzle didnt work either.... too wiggly So off to the vets who presribed a week of anti-bios and 3 days pain killers.

The redness faded but he was still suffering. 2 weeks later we went back again and he was prescribed another 2 weeks of anti-bios and a week of pain killers. The vet said there is no-way it wouldnt work.

They havent made the slightest bit of difference - apart from my purse being £110 short

He has creamy yellowy gunge, and sometimes bloody and very red. He needs to go back to the vet. I just wondered if anyone else has experianced this?

I think even the vet is baffled?
Ive tried cold tea to sooth as well but was wondering what could be causing this as the vet said if it was just normal conjunctivitis then the anti-bios would have got rid of it fast???
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Have you tried Optrex Infected Eye? If you have trouble putting them in then wait until he is asleep and drop them in then.
Becky
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2007, 09:59 PM
my last dog Polly had loads of trouble with her eyes (as my vet said to me cavaliers are a vets best friend!) she went through loads of meds without much luck.

My daughter suffered terribly with conjunctivitis as well and the doc in the emergency eye clinic (which we had to attend on christmas day) advised me in hushed tones to try a herbal remedy call eyebright (i think the herbal name is billberry) she never had any more trouble from her eyes!

when i eventually tried it on Polly it was a great help - i used drops straight in her mouth if her eyes were inflamed and always put a few drops in her water. Vet didnt get to see her again till her last days!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 10:19 PM
That's something worth knowing thanks Zoby.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi Avani. Those could possibly be symptoms of 'dry eye.'

I would ask your vet for a referral to an ophthalmologist.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone,

I think as Zoby's idea (thanks!) is herbal and Optrex is un-herbal (!) I think I will get both and try them at the same time.

Pod - thats a great idea and if these too ideas fail then I will ask my vet as this cannot be comfortable for him.

I also think I am going to change vets... they are never helpful when it comes to suggestions which dont include buying medicine from them... my last vets used to be very helpful and you could pop in and get a nurse to take a look and you would leave with a list of things to try before being booked in for a consultation. The one I am at now wont talk on the phone and if you go in its a flat charge of £25.00 just for a consultation!
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi there

I would also ask them to check for entropian which is the inturning of the eyelid so that the eyelashes rub on the eye causing infection and redness. I had a scare with one of my Bracs but it turned out to be caused by infection and settled when the infection healed.

Entropian is a horrible thing for a dog. You can imagine what the pain would be like. Has your vet already checked for that? If not, get him to check straight away. There is another condition where some malformed eyelashes rub against the eye. These eyelashes can be removed. With entropian the dog has to undergo surgery. If left, the dog will eventually have ulcerated eyes and could go blind so it is worth getting your vet to check him thoroughly.

I hope it isnt entropian and I would like to think that your vet has already tested for this. If it is this, no amount of medicine will cure it. Only an op can do that.

I wish you the very best of luck
Kind regards
Spettadog
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
Hi there

I would also ask them to check for entropian which is the inturning of the eyelid so that the eyelashes rub on the eye causing infection and redness. I had a scare with one of my Bracs but it turned out to be caused by infection and settled when the infection healed.

Entropian is a horrible thing for a dog. You can imagine what the pain would be like. Has your vet already checked for that? If not, get him to check straight away. There is another condition where some malformed eyelashes rub against the eye. These eyelashes can be removed. With entropian the dog has to undergo surgery. If left, the dog will eventually have ulcerated eyes and could go blind so it is worth getting your vet to check him thoroughly.

I hope it isnt entropian and I would like to think that your vet has already tested for this. If it is this, no amount of medicine will cure it. Only an op can do that.

Kind regards
Spettadog

you took the words out of my mouth i was gonna post the same xxzbxx
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
Hi there

Kind regards
Spettadog
Oh dear
that sounds awful....
The vets had a good luck in his eyes and smeared some yellow stuff on them which stained his eyes / fur yellow (white dog) and said 'oh thats fine' its just an infection....
Will ask them to have a better luck this time.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Ask about Distachiasis too, this is an extra layer of eyelashes that can grow inward causing infections.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >