Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DebVM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2006, 06:17 PM

kidney problem - advice on diet please?

hi i was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with kidney problem we have just had the blood tests results of our 15 year old pomeranian ben and the vet left a message saying he has slight kidney disfunction but it is only mild and not to worry he will need to go on a special low protein diet which is only avalible from the vet as it is prescription can anyone give me some advice and/or tips please many thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2006, 07:15 PM
my mums dog had kidney trouble she was put on the hills diet the kd type with is for kidney problems.
you can only get it from the vets in dry or tins.
the lower the protein the better 1 of the worst foods you can give a dog with kidney trouble is chicken.
also dog biscuits etc should be stopped its the food and only the food no treats or anything.
good luck but there is things that can help with kidney failure esp if it is only mild.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by DebVM
hi i was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with kidney problem we have just had the blood tests results of our 15 year old pomeranian ben and the vet left a message saying he has slight kidney disfunction but it is only mild and not to worry he will need to go on a special low protein diet which is only avalible from the vet as it is prescription can anyone give me some advice and/or tips please many thanks
No personal experience but this link has some terrific info on it, its one of the best on the net.

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by leo
my mums dog had kidney trouble she was put on the hills diet the kd type with is for kidney problems.
you can only get it from the vets in dry or tins.
the lower the protein the better 1 of the worst foods you can give a dog with kidney trouble is chicken.
also dog biscuits etc should be stopped its the food and only the food no treats or anything.
good luck but there is things that can help with kidney failure esp if it is only mild.
Hi Leo, have to disagree. Its been recognised now that its not so much low protein, but high quality food of high digestability be given. Chicken may also be given too & the aim is to give a moderate protein diet thats highly digestable.

Have a read thru this link.

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html
DebVM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2006, 01:24 PM
thanks for the replys and i have been on that website christine yes you are right its not so much about the protein its says about phosphorus that you have to keep that level down it is a good website
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Glad you like it Deb, good luck with Ben