View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 06:40 AM

Sunday Supplement - Cosmetic Surgery - why??

I am horrified to find that a certain Sunday newspaper (and not one of the more sensational ones) has a supplement today, all about cosmetic surgery, clearly giving the message that this is the "in thing" to do if you are to be considered an acceptable human being.(especially female)
Now this is only my personal opinion, but I feel very strongly that cosmetic surgery for reasons of vanity should be banned! By all means, for burns and crash victims, or people who have been born with a disfigurement that is making their life hell, but... to look younger? prettier? because your mate has had it done?...
Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with what nature gave us in most cases and I find it highly immoral to "improve" on nature especially when the surgeon's skills could be used on people who are actually ill and are having to wait months on end because NHS surgeons are nipping off to the local private clinic to make a quick buck doing a procedure on someone who wants bigger boobs! They are paid a fortune anyway, it's just greed imo.
AND the hospitals won't do anything about it because the consultants think they are god and threaten to walk out if the hospital trust dares to criticise them!
Magazine features like this will only make the demand grow. How many children have died or suffered for months needlessly because they have had to wait too long for surgery?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 07:10 AM
My sister is an advocate of plastic surgery. She's a model, and is now 58. She has false boobs and has so much collagen put around her mouth, that half of it is now frozen. She's also had her eyes done, and they're going to be done again soon.
I guess I understand it in her case, as she has to look good for her job. Personally, it's not for me. Everything on my body points south, and I actually couldn't care less. I love me just as I am.
frizzy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Mines in the re-cycling bin and no i did'nt read it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Agree with everything Deccy said!

I know an 18 year old who's just had a boob job
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I saw an advert for this newspaper, including today's supplement on TV last night. It was aired during a break in the 'Falling Man' programme about the people who chose to jump rather than being burned alive.

Apart from the fact that the newspaper's marketing team should be remonstrated with for placing a silly advert during a programme about an incident that affected so many peoples' lives, I think its sad that this type of vanity exists and is given so much importance.

If all some people have to worry about is the size of their nose/boobs/fatty bits, then they don't really have many problems, do they?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
While I am of the opinion that cosmetic surgery to enhance certain body parts, which are probably already quite adequate for their purpose, is rather foolish it should be recognized that significant psychological stress can be caused by the belief that one is 'ugly/different/lacking/etc'. Whether surgery or counselling is the better solution is moot - but it can be a real and crippling problem to the person involved and should be recognized as such.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Well written Deccy, agree with all you say, just been for the paper and was very surprised to find this supplement in it, disappointed too surely they could give us a better supplement than that (unless someone has spotted me recently!!!!) x
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 03:05 PM
i have had a boob job and would have everything made 2 look better if i had the £. i think is ok to want to be a better you.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I have never considered it or gave it much thought, I know there's a lot of it on the telly but never watched, but if they are determened to have it done they will do shame really but I suppose that's the way it goes
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
While I am of the opinion that cosmetic surgery to enhance certain body parts, which are probably already quite adequate for their purpose, is rather foolish it should be recognized that significant psychological stress can be caused by the belief that one is 'ugly/different/lacking/etc'. Whether surgery or counselling is the better solution is moot - but it can be a real and crippling problem to the person involved and should be recognized as such.
any good cosmetic surgeon will send a letter to your GP asking about if the client needs counselling and if it is a better solution to having surgery. well mine did. and i had my boob job so they would look better, not 4 my psycholohical stress.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >