View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
soo angry at the farmer. That type of attitude turned me against farmers years ago, once a dog gets too old to work they shoot them, disgusting!!! If we ordinary folk can look after a dog into it's old age why the h**l can't they.
errrr.... this farmer actually chose to keep Sam going as he was well in himself, and he had to put up with a lot of criticism from other farmers for doing it. He is considered to be one of the "better" farmers around here.

Incidentally, when I helped on Dalmatian Welfare there was a case of a puppy farm bitch in Wales who was thrown in a cess pit when her breeding days were over, as that particular "farmer" didn't want to "waste" a bullet on her. She was salvaged, sorted out, and rehomed successfully giving a huge amount of pleasure to her new owners.

So there are worse things around
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean this farmer was like that just the majority of them.

I do apologise.

Ian
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 08:55 PM
So sad poor old dog. Shame things had to end this way for him, but i bet the farmer shed a tear when he was on his own
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes, I let him go down to the barn on his own and he was there for some time. I wandered down tonight and found that he had moved Sam's water bowl close to where he lay when I last saw him, and some food had been put down, which was untouched.
For a dog which was still a hearty eater, this probably told the farmer what he needed to know which was quite a brave thing to do IMO.

Ian, no need to apologise, I knew what you meant but put up my post for clarification in case it was misread

Taylor keeps looking over the wall looking for his old friend

Hope tomorrow is a better day...still wrestling with whether or not I should tell the postman. Might play that one by ear.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
That's awkward one Spotsmad, it may distress him soo much, then again if he isn't bothered that will stress you out even more.

I don't know what I would do.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
I'm sitting here crying buckets for poor Sam, and yet soo angry at the farmer. That type of attitude turned me against farmers years ago, once a dog gets too old to work they shoot them, disgusting!!! If we ordinary folk can look after a dog into it's old age why the h**l can't they.

At the same time it probably put Sam out of his misery quicker than going to the vet, especally at that age, there would be a slim chance of recovering from that,)I am telling myself)

R I P Sam

Ian

I entirely agree with you Ian. I too find it despicable that a dog gives its owner a lifetime of love and devotion and the callous b*****d decides to shoot it when it no longer works. Pity they don't do that with some farmers isn't it

Just like to point out I didn't mean the farmer who kept Sam because he obviously didn't do this and loved his dog until his very sad end
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh poor old fella, your story was so sad, run free old man, i think in the cuircumstances the old farmer did was he thought was right. xxxx
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
What a shame! I am glad he enjoyed his last few years with you and your gang!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3