View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 07:49 PM
If it was a welshie we'd expect to be told and we even pay in most circunstances for the upkeep and vets bills til they rehome.
You know it seems to me you cant win, If it was my dog and I hadnt been notified I;d be absolutely livid.
Just out of curiousity and its probably been mentioned in a previous thead, does the rescue charge to take the dogs in or rehome them.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 08:05 PM
No we dont most people wouldnt hand them in if they thought might cost them then scary where they would end up although wouldnt surprise me if some rescues did.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

30-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
If it was a welshie we'd expect to be told and we even pay in most circunstances for the upkeep and vets bills til they rehome.
You know it seems to me you cant win, If it was my dog and I hadnt been notified I;d be absolutely livid.
Just out of curiousity and its probably been mentioned in a previous thead, does the rescue charge to take the dogs in or rehome them.
Can I ask who is we? Can you clarify under what circumstances 'we' would pay for all the kenneling fees etc would it be any 'welshie' looking dog or one from a specific breeder?

I think you're very right you cant win in rescue these days, do you contact a breeder that maybe didnt do all the right checks to get the right home or did but just got it wrong?

Certainly in my breed its a very very hard line to tred and IMO its best not to bother with the breeder or last owner but it does differ from other breeds.

Does your 'breed' rescue charge, as as far as I know very very few do?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Can I ask who is we? Can you clarify under what circumstances 'we' would pay for all the kenneling fees etc would it be any 'welshie' looking dog or one from a specific breeder?

I think you're very right you cant win in rescue these days, do you contact a breeder that maybe didnt do all the right checks to get the right home or did but just got it wrong?

Certainly in my breed its a very very hard line to tred and IMO its best not to bother with the breeder or last owner but it does differ from other breeds.

Does your 'breed' rescue charge, as as far as I know very very few do?
I was speaking as a member of the North of England Welsh Springer commitee not as volunteer for rescue. Sorry should have made it clearer.
If we find out a welshie is in rescue usually welshie rescue either offers to step in offer a foster home or pay kenneling we also have lists of suitable people wanting older welshies.
I often think sometimes breed specific rescues know the needs of the dogs better than general kennels.
Also i was speaking as a breeder, I would like to know if a dog I'd bred was in rescue as I would drive down and pick it up straight away.
With regards the Chesky I was wondering why there rescue wasnt contacted
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
You know I cant do that Dawn
Why not? We always did, we ALWAYS contacted the breeder if we had papers its the responsible thing to do, you only have the previous owners word for the fact they contacted them dont you, how do you REALLY know? Most owners lie about things when wanting rid of a dog, the last thing "some" may do is go back to a breeder who trusted them with one of their puppies.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why not? We always did, we ALWAYS contacted the breeder if we had papers its the responsible thing to do, you only have the previous owners word for the fact they contacted them dont you, how do you REALLY know? Most owners lie about things when wanting rid of a dog, the last thing "some" may do is go back to a breeder who trusted them with one of their puppies.
You put it so much better than I could, I would expect to be told and also to be given the opportunity to take the dog back.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Because the owners for what ever reason obviously didnt want the dog to go back to the breeder or the breeder couldnt help and they were very responsible people. And I wont be disclosing who bred him as not my place to do so. And a lovely active family coming to see him tomorrow so long as he gets a great family home thats all I care about.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Because the owners for what ever reason obviously didnt want the dog to go back to the breeder or the breeder couldnt help and they were very responsible people. And I wont be disclosing who bred him as not my place to do so. And a lovely active family coming to see him tomorrow so long as he gets a great family home thats all I care about.
You seem to be missing the point theres more people involved than the owners the breeders have a responsibility of care and shouls be given the opportunity to at least have a say in the rehoming.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Im sorry Kcjack, in this instance I dont feel you have acted in the best interest of the dog. Its ok slagging breeders off, but not giving them an opportunity to help with a dog they bred is wrong, very wrong, at the very least you should make them feel gulity if the wont take it back or help.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by kcjacks
The owners were lovely and genuine and handed him in with a folder of things including his KC papers
Originally Posted by Hali
out of interest KCJack, when you get a less common breed in like this, do you make contact with the breed rescue?

I'm just thinking that in many breeds the breeders can recognise various lines and they may be able to trace the breeder (even without paperwork) to confirm whether they will take responsibility....and if not, at least the breed club will know this is one breeder not to recommend.

I'm one of the first to slate irresponsible breeders, but I can't help but think that the breeder and/or the breed club should be given the opportunity to 'put things right' when one of their breed does end up in rescue.
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I would expect to be told and also to be given the opportunity to take the dog back.
If a general rescue has all the papers and doesn't wish to contact the breeder directly they could at least contact the breed club and the breed rescue. They will probably have knowledge of the breeders and can act as an intermediary.
A good breeder would be devastated at the thought of one of their dogs being passed around and possibly ending up in an unsutable home.
Page 5 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »