Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 02:20 PM

A little bit concerned

Hi all,

Yesterday morning i found a dog behind the house, She was scared,shaking and cold. Luckily i have seen the dog before on the field so i knew roughly where she lived. I rang the owner and she was very Apologetic (sp?) but i didnt really mind as long as the dog got home safe. I walked to meet the owner and "handed over" her dog.
But i am a little worred because again today i have found the dog (3 times) and had to return it. Im concerned that she is going to get run over, stolen or maybe tortured and killed by Teenagers. Any advice that you can give will be useful.

Many Thanks. Jay
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Dosn't sound like the onwer is bothering about this dog if you have found it more then once. How about contacting the dog warden where he/she will have a word with owner & maybe a few fines to get the dog back will wake up to the responsibility.

Either that or when you next find the dog hand it into the police station & they will inform the dog warden where the dog will be picked up & taken to a rescue?
DinoAndana
New Member!
Male 

27-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd suggest if you find the dog again, when you take it back you should ask her how and why it keeps ending up out by itself. If she doesnt have a genuine reason and you feel just as suspicious as before, then I guess youd need to speak to someone with a bit more power about it for the dogs sake.
hope it turns out ok.

Dino
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Poor thing, obviously this person doesn't give a darn about her dog, she should re-home it.

I would try and be nice to her still for the sake of the animal and perhaps suggest her re-homing it if she cannot cope.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 03:07 PM
It's a tough one. I'd be careful taking the dog to a warden or the police. You don't want to end up in a situation where the owner decides not to pay the fine, so ends up with the dog getting PTS. I once took a dog I found to the police, and was assured that they were taken to a rescue shelter after 7 days and not PTS. I rang up a few days later to find out if he had been claimed and it turned out he'd been taken to a pound over 40 miles away and was due to be PTS in 3 days. I had to get on a train and hand over £40 to get him back and then rehome him myself.

If it was me I'd have a word with her myself, and hopefully that will be enough. If this doesn't work then perhaps a gentle hint that next time you'll have no choice but to call the dog warden/RSPCA will be enough to get the owner to re-think things.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't ask the dog warden first, I'd try and speak to her yourself. Just voice your concerns and make clear you don't want to be nosy but you're worried.

Depending on her response, you have two options. If she agrees and is ok with what you're saying, it would seem that it has just been a really bad week and she will get it sorted and that she really does care. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes in families.
If she gets shirty then warn her that if it happens again you may have to phone the warden.

If the warden goes round first before she's heard from you then it could really rile her.

If it were me, I'd rather you spoke to me first before getting third parties involved.