Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Why do people think they know better

Me and my brother have always had a strained relationship and he makes it worse by teaching Louie bad behaviours and giving him food I don't want him to give him - he is after all MY dog and after setting the rules like no human food etc..I still get oh he can have a bit of this - it'll not hurt him - I DONT CARE! I have said no human food unless it is good for him and I stick by that!

Today Sadie was barking at the window cleaner and Louie joined in, Sadie has always barked at them but then settled down afterwards - Louie is however different and after telling him to settle and quieten him down my brother decided to repeat "Windowcleaner!" in an excited voice trying to get him to react - even though he had just seen and heard me tell them to calm down and be quiet!

I had a huge go at him saying just because Molly (his GF's dog) is allowed to get away with barking at the postman and other behaviours - I deem unacceptable - doesn't mean my dogs can be the same!
He then threatened me because I told him he was a D**khead - which is what he is too me - if he is going to teach my dogs that and then continued to say I should learn to respect my elders.
Louie's bum deserves more respect - I don't give it to wannabe know-it-alls

So I put on FB that my dog's bumhole deserves more respect than he does.

And after some comments like "the joys of christmas" and "hit him with your shoe"
I put:

Oh he threatened to put my head through a window - shoes will not do it! He only said it cos I told him I didnt want him encouraging MY dog to bark at the window cleaner after I'd just told them off for barking..Grrr idiot just because Molly barks at the postman etc and goes crazy for certain things - doesnt mean MY dog can do the same - as some may notice - MY dog is considerably bigger than Molly and can inflict more damage of which I will be the one picking up the pieces.

My dogs can do more damage than a spoilt yorkie..IMO (Although I know Yorkies can do reasonable damage)

He's then come downstairs and had a go at me because his GF's had a go at him for what I wrote - if she has a problem with it - then she can speak to me - I wasn't criticising how her dog behaves or was taught just basically stated I didn't want my dogs to do the same. Fair enough to say dont you think? It's like I dont mind my dogs jumping up me but some owners dont like it...

This is just a rant...and I need to breathe now.
kirstymomo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Argggh! Story of my life this drives me insane!

I have a collie with a VERY strong herd and chase instict which isn't good for agility as she ends up nippy my heels when we are running... So I have my brother countless times not to encourage her to chase yet I always find him running away from her with him getting her to nip his heels?! The same goes for my mum, I say DONT give her food, she doesn't need any of your food, and I turn round and she is giving her a bit of her dinner! This is just encouraging her to scrounge for food when I am trying to discourage it!

One step forwards, two steps back. So yes I think you were right in saying, at the end of the day they are your dogs ands its up to you
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Sympathies. Different reasons for me but seems brothers think they know better than us until they need us to do something for them.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2010, 07:26 PM
FB: its a curse
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
FB: its a curse
A curse - yes but most of my friends are in loads of different Uni's so how else will I be able to share the gossip
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2010, 07:34 PM
what did we do before FB?

it pretty much is a depository of crap and nonsense.

i deleted my account
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:23 PM
This is what I have had to say to his GF because I like her - I dont agree with her dog's training but that is her dog, not mine:

Hey Gemma,

My status earlier was in no way meant to offend you, I'm sorry if it did.
It's just that Micheal tries to encourage things that Molly does - which with my dogs I find it unacceptable and whenever I tell him not to do things - he says "well Molly does it".

Louie is scared of men so I didnt want him getting wound up at the window cleaners in which after I had just settled the pair of them from barking and growling - your BF decided to wind them up again by repeating "Window cleaners" hence the bit about Molly - as far as I know she knows "postman" I'm just guessing that she barks at him or something.

Basically I wasn't criticising any training or things Molly does - I just dont want my dogs to do it as Louie is a skittish dog he could well just turn round and bite someone out of fear and with him being a bigger dog - if he bites someone they may well have him Put To Sleep by court order which I do not want. This is why I mentioned Molly as it seems a favourite excuse for Michael to use whenever I tell him I dont want Louie doing a certain thing, either that or "it wont hurt him".

At the end of the day I have brought Louie up differently to Molly and Sadie has been brought up differently to the pair of them. All I was getting at was just that - I have brought Louie up differently to what Molly has been - if you want to teach your dog to bark at the postman or chase or do whatever - that is up to you - I however don't want Louie to learn these things.

I have told Micheal several times before what things Louie can and cannot do and he doesn't listen. So if I want to rant on [a social network] - I will rant on [a social network].

I do however not appreciate Micheal coming downstairs to have a go at me for something you have read and did not like - if in future I write something you do not like or do not agree with - I would like you to talk to me first.

I hope that this hasn't affected our friendship but strains between me and my brother, with all due respect, have nothing to do with you - I apologise for bringing Molly into it.

Aimee

Wasnt too harsh was it?
kirstymomo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Well said
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by kirstymomo View Post
Well said
I did take English lit A -level - I should know how to word a letter I got a B in English language too (GCSE)

Just see what results I get - probably another gob off at talking to his GF - my OH has just said she shouldn't be so soft skinned - it was a rant about my brother afterall not her and I got my parents to check it to make sure I didnt say anything out of order - so they can vouch if he starts having a go - I clever!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 01:37 PM
This is so like my family! they just dont get it do they?!
Simba is a scrounger and we have worked so hard on his issues with food by never feeding him from table or giving hi anything we eat, but when we are with my family, my mum will give them food off her plate, no matter how many times I tell her please dont!

My brother winds them up big time and then my dad shouts at them, its so frustrating!

I sympathise immensly!

PS Is your name Aimee?? I LOVE that name!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >