View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I think that is a fantastic idea, I'd like all schools to include this in their curriculum.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

17-04-2005, 11:36 AM
maybe the parents should be made to take the class with the kids then?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Thats a big step forward, i agree Emm
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Like Aileen and Housedog I too have reservations if the children go home and as a result of the talk plead loudly for a dog to parents who have never had one, they may get a dog not realising the cost/care involved and be unable to cope . I hope the talk stresses having a dog is similar to having a baby, very very expensive, restricts your movement, alters our lifestyle and you have it for maybe 16 years.
i agree. most kids probably wont remmeber this talk when they actually grow up and get their own dog. Its not in their interest how much it costs cos their parents pay for it.

I think a better approach would be to somehow teach the adults about responsible ownership and not to get a dog just cos their child wants one.
i see it all too often when none dog people get a dog for their kids birthday!
my bf's sister has a 3yr old son and she said she was gettin a dog for him! i mean, how ridiculous! (btw, shes not a knowledgable person by any means and knows nothin bout dogs and doesnt work).
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 12:36 PM
i agree its a good step in the right direction but do think that the parents might benefit from the experience too... However I begged for a dog every year on every christmas and birthday from my parents and they never got me one - so it does depend on the parent too !!

My personal opinion though is that you should be made to get a dog license - you know to prove that you are a responsible owner with the requirements to be able to look after a dog- like you have to do when you take in a rescue - you have to be homechecked etc -

and although I realise it would never be feasible in practice - I would like it if this were the case.

However in all honesty I kinda think the same with kids - some people shouldnt be allowed to have kids the way that they live and its a vicious circle - their kids have kids when they are kids and etc etc.

My friend is a high school teacher and she has the opinion that parents should have to apply for a baby license - you know to prove that they cvan take care of their child and that they are responsible - and although it sounds very undemocratic it woudl certainly prevent a lot of the terrible situations you hear about with abused, abandonend and inherantly poor children that have to live in some horrific situations which we wouldnt allow a dog to live in.....

Its a very sad fact that our society is in a very sorry state.

dani
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 01:16 PM
When my son was in primary 6 (10yr old) he had to do a subject talk. He could choose any subject and do a talk on it. Anyway, Mike decided to do the talk on staffie rescue. He took the information boards to school with him. As they are quite heavy I went with him. He was excellent. He went from the wee lass being 'Lined' to giving birth to the homing of the pups and innoculations. And how long a dog lives. It was great to see and hear but a bit frightening coz it was like looking in a mirror. Anyway then he got onto rescue. The kids in the class were asking why a dog gets put into a rescue and Mikey explain it all. Can be abuse but more likely to be circumstances have changed. Very informative to both kids and teacher. Well as a result I now go to the school maybe 4 times a year to talk about dogs. Kids don't take into concideration the cost of a dog. How much for vet fees. who's going to look after the dog when they go to Spain on holiday. Who'll cut the dogs hair if it's a long hair breed and the cost. Things like that. Anyway I'm all for education, if you can teach 1 child the meaning of dog caring and love then it's worth the work your doing. That's what I think anyway.
Tracie
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
my bf's sister has a 3yr old son and she said she was gettin a dog for him! i mean, how ridiculous! (btw, shes not a knowledgable person by any means and knows nothin bout dogs and doesnt work).
My daughter was three when we got Molo, and she was the primary reason for us chosing him; I don't expect her to care for him, though :smt101 He is a family dog, but the breed, age and timing definitely defines him as HER dog :smt105

When we were looking for a pup; we got turned down by several breeders cos both of us do work It seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.......:smt102
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2