Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bullybreedlover
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2007, 08:57 AM

dog discrimination

i take my staffys to this dog park its the only one in my area and every time i get there i get this feeling we're not wanted my dogs have never attacked another dog they just want to play,but as soon as we get there everybody puts there dogs back on there leads and leaves,in a way we got the whole park to ourselves,lol but with the dogs being still young i want to socialize them as much as possible,just hard when theres no dogs around..not to be bias but i think staffys a the friendliest dogs around i know they can look intimidating but its just sad they've already ban the american pitbull dont want the staffy to follow
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
i dont think its anythink youv done personally,alot of joe public,dont know a staffy from a pit bull,and listen to the pumped up hype around pits at the minute,so dont worry and do your usual walks in the park,just try and educate people on your walks,see if thats helps,
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:13 AM
What a shame

You really can't blame people though. All most people know about bull breeds is what they read in the national press - and we all know how sensationalist they are!

Just keep walking your dogs and one day you'll meet someone who isn't as uninformed and will let theirs play

Debs
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I wouldnt worry about it, take your dogs to training classes, and they will get chance to meet other dogs there in a more controled environment, by the looks of it many parks are now making it compulsory to have dogs on leads anyway, so in a way this might be good preparation for when the time comes the park you go to also takes the stance all dogs should be on lead enjoy your dogs freedom while it lasts.

Mo
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm sure you've read all the press gone mad stories over here. Are you suffering the same in Australia with your breed.
I can honestly say that with all the years i've trained, shown etc. I've never yet met a staffy that didn't want to jump on your lap and lick you to death or want to play.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
It is such a shame that people are so quick to believe all the bad press If only they would take the time to educate themselves the lives of staffies / pits would be so much better, and for the owners too. Any dog can be unpredictable and any dog can cause serious injuries, staffies no more than the next breed.
Personally I love them and although I have had a couple of bad experiences with staffies whilst walking with Max I don't blame the dogs one bit! It's the owners that worry me but I would never leave a park through seeing a certain breed of dog. Some of the sweetest dogs I know are staffies and to be honest I can't get enough of them!
JKKsEuroDoberma
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
yes I know exactly how you feel.
just make sure your dogs obedience is a %110. call some friends and set up play dates for your dogs. its not good to keep on exposing them to other runs running away. creates drive something you don't want. take them to controlled groups where people are not running off. you can check with local pet stores , human society,and breeders to see what puppy classes events are coming up in your area.