Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sue2dachs
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Working Dachshunds

Hello

I am new and we keep dual purpose Miniature Wire Haired Dachshunds and use them for flushing game and vermin to the gun on our local moor and for showing. It is rare to find a forum for talking about working dogs. Just thought I'd see if anyone else worked their miniature dachshunds. We imported a male from Germany, where they still have to retain their working ability if they want to gain their title.

sue
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:23 PM
We used to use Dusty for rabbiting, well my ex did,(the rabbits were always eaten by him - I don't like rabbit, or fed to the dogs, they loved it), and apparently she was very good at it, but when we split up it wasn't something that I carried on unfortunately.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't use working dogs,but a warm welcome to the site.
sue2dachs
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your replies - this seems like a really friendly site.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Sue.
I work my dogs too. Border Terriers, to Fox, Rabbit, Rat, Squirrel and use them for flushing game and retrieving too. I have a friend who has a Teckel X Border, super little dog.
Welcome to Dogweb.
Dawn.
sue2dachs
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi

The dachshunds are excellent for fox, rats, rabbits, .................. you name it - they will find it!

Sue
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi Sue,
We have 11 mini wires but don't work any of them. We have a boy who we imported from Finland and as you say would have had to work to gain his title. Sadly we brought him over to show but he is just to different from the UK type so never did well.
I am sure if we gave him half a chance he would make a good working dog but we will stick to watching from the window rather than hunting I would be scared that he got stuck down a rabbit hole
sue2dachs
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi

I know what you mean as our German dog is too extreme for the English showring but we have managed to combine the best of both quite successfully. All our dachshunds work to some extent - those with the German in are much more sharp and focused and we have the proportions about right now I thik size wise so we can show and work them (must be OK as we got BOB at Crufts with our champion bitch!) We put artifical lairs in for the foxes and manage to flush them to the gun - the dachshunds are excellent at that and also at flushing game birds and rats - and hare as we live close to the moor.

Sue