View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Here's hoping for good news..... Fingers crossed here .
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 07:07 PM
So, sorry to hear this, how awful, if it is oral cancer, it's the second one in two weeks that I'll of heard of and yet have never heard it before in dogs. So sad

Was thinking about what may tempt her and thought of liver cake mix? Blitz the liver with some eggs and a bit of garlic ( for the stinky factor ) and then instead of adding flour, you add it to mashed/pureed sweet potato?

Crossing everything I have for you all x
Meg
Supervisor

17-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Shirley I am sorry to learn about Rio's problem .
I hope she will be ok.

I guess lapping liquid may be less painful than eating because it is being 'thrown' down the throat and not touching the roof of the mouth so much. I would consider giving her chicken Complan from the chemist, it can be added to porridge or yogurt and eggs.

We used to give sick dogs Brands Essence of beef and chicken , it is very nutritious can still be purchased or you can make your own..

http://jewelpie.com/homemade-chicken...ief-tiredness/

When Millie (the puppy I lost a couple of years ago) was too ill to eat I ask the vet if it was ok to give her complan and he said yes fine, get anything you can down her.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 07:28 PM
I had two Cavalier King Charles spanials that had ulcer like things in their mouth this was an autoimmune thing called Eosinophilic granulomas. They are common in cats who cope well with them but not common in dogs who don't cope so well.
I don't know if yours is the same problem. Unfortunatly they spread in my dogs despite one having its tonsils out. They spread down my dogs throats and caused them to choke and have problems.
Despite trying some treatments my dogs sadly had to be put to sleep as they didn't work. Some dogs have got them under control with the treatment.
It probably isn't this but I just wanted to mention it because as its rare in dogs most vets won't think of it or have ever come across it, but it may be worth mentioning it if you think it could be the same or similar thing..

I wish Rio well.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-03-2014, 07:32 PM
I am sorry and cannot think of any other suggestions than already mentioned re: food.
I have fingers crossed it can be sorted but agree 100% with your decision if not.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I had two Cavalier King Charles spanials that had ulcer like things in their mouth this was an autoimmune thing called Eosinophilic granulomas. They are common in cats who cope well with them but not common in dogs who don't cope so well.
I don't know if yours is the same problem. Unfortunatly they spread in my dogs despite one having its tonsils out. They spread down my dogs throats and caused them to choke and have problems.
Despite trying some treatments my dogs sadly had to be put to sleep as they didn't work. Some dogs have got them under control with the treatment.
It probably isn't this but I just wanted to mention it because as its rare in dogs most vets won't think of it or have ever come across it, but it may be worth mentioning it if you think it could be the same or similar thing..

I wish Rio well.
Thanx Bev,
Although it's the ulcers and huge growth giving her grief eating it's the bone being compromised as well that's the biggest cause for concern. Combined it's not looking good.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Shirley I am sorry to learn about Rio's problem .
I hope she will be ok.

I guess lapping liquid may be less painful than eating because it is being 'thrown' down the throat and not touching the roof of the mouth so much. I would consider giving her chicken Complan from the chemist, it can be added to porridge or yogurt and eggs.

We used to give sick dogs Brands Essence of beef and chicken , it is very nutritious can still be purchased or you can make your own..

http://jewelpie.com/homemade-chicken...ief-tiredness/

When Millie (the puppy I lost a couple of years ago) was too ill to eat I ask the vet if it was ok to give her complan and he said yes fine, get anything you can down her.

Thank you, I've got several chickens in the freezer so I'll give it a go tomorrow. Have told OH to pick up some complan on his way home in the morning.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am sorry and cannot think of any other suggestions than already mentioned re: food.
I have fingers crossed it can be sorted but agree 100% with your decision if not.
Thanx my mind has gone blank re tempting food ideas.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Not surprised you can't think with the worry of it all.

I think everything Meg said and suggested was excellent advice.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Recovery recipe

This is a great recipe for any ill dog. It’s full of goodness from the chicken and veg, and it’s easily eaten and digested.

2 chicken drumsticks
1 carrot
1 potato
1 teasthingy parsley
1 stock cube

This one is really easy – just cover the chicken and chopped up veg with boiling water and simmer on a low
heat for thirty minutes. Then fish out the chicken, remove
the bones and return the meat to the pan. Sprinkle in the
parsley and allow to cool. Best served slightly warm.
You could blitz the "soup"so it can be licked up
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »