register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 17 of 29 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Very good points.

I agree that there's a helluva difference in the relationship between a pet dog & its owners when the dog is living in the house with that family, interacting with them every day & being part of that family to ...... the relationship between a race horse & it's often extremely rich owner who probably only sees the horse on race days or the odd visit to the stabe, & effectively has absolutely no relationship (other than a financial one) with the horse at all!! So how anyone can be silly enough to try & compare how race horses are treated by their owners to how pet dogs are treated by their owners, is completely beyond me!! They are not comparable at all. Now a "pet" horse as in your circumstances is different as you do have that bond & relationship with your horse.

There may possibly be a bond or relationship between the racehorse & the groom or stable lad that cares for the horse, but, unfortunately, they are not the ones making the decisions for that horse over which races the horse should run, how often it should run, whether it should be kept or sold etc.

As for the whipping of a horse, no, absolutely not, no way, ever, ever. How can it be called excessive? Any whipping is bad ~ it causes pain, it is cruel & it is only done to make the horse run faster. i can think of no excuse at all for whipping a horse ever.
Ofcause they are not comparable.

One is a dog that lives in your home, it sits on your sofa, and lives a life of close companionship, in your home

A horse is a different species, they live a different life, they are grazing animals, they weight 1/2 ton they live in fields and sleep in stables.

Surely the comparison one should be making in the quality of care one gives to one pets (regardless of what they are) house pets, or field pets.

Horses need to be fed, watered , exersice , turned out, shod, dogs need to be fed, exercised , watered and health care.

You dont have to love either, neither species will not care if you love them , as long as you do the above they are happy, as long as they receive human company and the care they need.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I saw that article earlier and that pic is the one I found the most shocking. Isnt that Dooneys Gate in the fall which killed him? What pic did you find the worst?
Tbh it is probally that one, but I was thinking that it probally wont be the most shocking for others aswell, but I also felt ill viewing these ones too, all I'm thankful for is that none of them are my animals.

I mean this one it looks like the horse might be trying to stand up again, before being crashed into by another.

And in the one above it on the article, I'm assuming is from the same sequence, that ones horrible too, I mean I know that they say a picture's worth a thousand words, I think them ones are worth more.

On a slighty different way, did anyone read the sun yesterday? (not been able to read all the posts, sorry), Redrums trainer was in there, and he said not to make the course too easy, as if its too easy the horses can go faster, so when and if they fall they fall harder (not a direct quote, I don't have it on me right now), I have to say it makes sense, having the dogs I do, I'm always aware that their speed can make injuries worse, so I'm not sure what would be the best course of action, but I do think that there needs to be less horses, and it needs to be changed IMO to give the horses a better chance at not being injured, let alone killed, although I do know that injuries can happen anywhere, I do hope for the horses sake something is done though.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Answering Rambles!

I half agree with your first point---but I also know that mothers wake automatically if their child is in trouble and I have to wake if Champa fits. I also wake if one of mine is in trouble and needs to go out.

I think you develop a sort of sixth sense sometimes and hopefully that is what has happened with the diabetic alert dog. I do think she is amazing and I hope they keep her forever...........

rune
Also answering Rambles & Rune ~ I've always had concerns over the treatment of service dogs too. Hearing dogs/alert dogs are expected to be vigilant 24/7, so obviously there's a concern that they don't get any "downtime" when they can chill out, relax, go into deep R.E.M. sleep, switch off, play, be off duty ~ whatever you want to call it. I understand that Guide Dogs do have the oportunity to be off duty, to have off lead time, & clearly, if their owner is asleep, they can also relax. I'm not sure that it is the same for alert dogs or hearing dogs though.

I'd love to think that dogs have the same 6th sense that parents have for their children, but I'm not sure that it exists.

Howver I also think it should be relatively easy to teach these dogs when they are "on duty" & when they are "off duty". Something as simple as a lightweight coat, or a particular harness or collar, culd easily be the discrimnative stimulus for work mode or chill out mode. Guide dogs have their harness & costs for work mode ~ why not all types of assistance dogs?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Ofcause they are not comparable.

One is a dog that lives in your home, it sits on your sofa, and lives a life of close companionship, in your home

A horse is a different species, they live a different life, they are grazing animals, they weight 1/2 ton they live in fields and sleep in stables.

Surely the comparison one should be making in the quality of care one gives to one pets (regardless of what they are) house pets, or field pets.

Horses need to be fed, watered , exersice , turned out, shod, dogs need to be fed, exercised , watered and health care.

You dont have to love either, neither species will not care if you love them , as long as you do the above they are happy, as long as they receive human company and the care they need.
Not quite sure the points you are making other than stating the obvious But I do agree that quality of care is equally important regardless of the species of animal you are responsible for, & regardless of the function of the animal. And if the function of the race horse is to race & make money for the owner, then that horse deserves the same care & mitigation of risks & potential for harm as any other domestic animal. That, IMO, includes not whipping a horse to go ever faster, over dangerous jumps, in a crowded mass of other horses & riders all trying to do the same thing. That is just a disaster waiting to happen ~ at least it is for the horse (& possibly the jockey) but for the owner it's simply the loss of some cash!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:21 AM
bear with my musings and dont laugh...please

in F1 they qualify for a grid position,and the start is staggered as to try and avoid the cars all going together in the first corner....why couldnt that be transfered to the GN?

and as for whipping
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Not quite sure the points you are making other than stating the obvious !!
The point I was making is as far as the animal is concerned, it matters not if the owner is rich or poor, has daily contact or not,

As long as it is fed and watered and so on , has regular human contact, the animal is happy.

You suggested one is better cared for than the other, they are not, they are both getting their needs provided for.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
bear with my musings and dont laugh...please

in F1 they qualify for a grid position,and the start is staggered as to try and avoid the cars all going together in the first corner....why couldnt that be transfered to the GN?

and as for whipping
You would need 40 time keepers, keeping up on 40 horses round the course in question.

WHIPPING, I agree with you.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Can't they send them out in groups of ten or something and just time the winner? And then see out of each group who was the fastest.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Can't they send them out in groups of ten or something and just time the winner? And then see out of each group who was the fastest.
The clue is in the name, "race"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
The clue is in the deaths and the whipping-----cruel.

rune
Page 17 of 29 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »