Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Behavioural assessments...

I was just wondering what people thought of the behavioural assessments rescues put the dogs through? I know it probably differs slightly from rescue to rescue, and I have only ever seen them being done at tv programmes. Would love to hear peoples experiences if they have been involved in that aspect of rescue.

I know they need to make sure the dogs are safe to go to homes, but sometimes I do think they are a bit strict. Do you think they have to be strict due to the number of dogs with no issues at all, and such a lack of homes? I hate when I see programmes and they do the food aggression test on an emaciated dog! A lot of the dogs I see do actually pass, but when I see a dog fail, I do wonder what they expect when the dog hasn’t had regular food for so long. I know it may not be possible to give the dogs the time to put weight on before doing the test, but I do think it is incredibly unfair on the dogs.

I also saw a young dog, who was very mouthy… she didn’t bite, just mouthy… and she was PTS. Surely that is a problem that can be overcome, and doesn’t deserve a death sentence…

I have mixed views on it, since the rescues are overflowing but seeing some of the assessments does make me very sad . What does everyone else think? I also wonder how many of the dogs we own would pass their tests...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I think the problem is, there are just more dogs than there are rescue spaces. It's sad to see it happen but if they only have, say, 20 free kennels and get 30 dogs in, 10 of them will have to be PTS (unless another rescue can help out, but every rescue is facing the same problem), and I think it is better for those with issues, no matter how small, to be PTS over dogs without issues that will home quicker and thus make room for more dogs. Would it be better for a rescue to take in 5 "problem free" dogs they can home relatively easy or have one mouthy dog sitting there for months and those 5 easier dogs be PTS due to lack of space? It's not a decision I would want to make but it does have to be made, regardless.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think the problem is, there are just more dogs than there are rescue spaces. It's sad to see it happen but if they only have, say, 20 free kennels and get 30 dogs in, 10 of them will have to be PTS (unless another rescue can help out, but every rescue is facing the same problem), and I think it is better for those with issues, no matter how small, to be PTS over dogs without issues that will home quicker and thus make room for more dogs. Would it be better for a rescue to take in 5 "problem free" dogs they can home relatively easy or have one mouthy dog sitting there for months and those 5 easier dogs be PTS due to lack of space? It's not a decision I would want to make but it does have to be made, regardless.
Yeah, i know what you mean... i just think it is hard to think about due to the fact that the rescues save the dogs from their situations (in the case of cruelty cases) and then some of the dogs are PTS due to problems caused by the owners failing.

I know they need to priortise but every dog deserves the chance and some just need a wee bit extra time and training.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2011, 08:40 PM
tests are worthless and unfair if a wider context isnt factored in
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't think it's a case of them not thinking every dog deserves the chance, I just don't think they can physically offer it unfortunately. A sad situation but the rescues aren't to blame for it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I totally agree with you re the food test - that is appalling. And frankly I'd probably snap and growl etc if someone took my meal away!

I think it also does, as you note, vary widely from rescue to rescue. My dog, for example, was not assessed at all. The only info on him was what the wardens etc at the pound had observed when he was there.

Fortunately we were able to get through an initial very difficult period, but if there had been small children here it would probably have been a different outcome.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:04 PM
I have only assessed Akitas and the 'tests' are varying, depending on the dog, situation and it's history we are told of. I visit the home, chat to the owners, gage the dog, see how it interacts with the owners, children if there are any in the home and me. I always ask to see the dog out walking on lead, and around food with it's owners. I never expect the dog to do anything for me particularly. Akitas are just likely to ignore strangers, nevermind perform commands for them!

I once did an assessment of a male who had had the most loving owners but the terriblest upbringing. During the whole assesment I could not touch the dog, it was initially locked into the kichen then I was told to sit and not to make eye contact with the dog or any sudden movements when they 'released' it into the room! It prowled the room like a lion, guarding over his owners, and I witnessed it being praised and cuddled as it growled at me They had had it since a pup, poor, poor dog.

He was rehomed sucessfully after good introductions with an experienced man in Wales who used to breed and show Akitas. He has now the best human companion, and teacher, and a relationship this dog could have only dreamed of having.

I dare say a lot of rescues may have felt this dog un-rehomable. It does worry me a lot. I have no doubt that some dog charities disriminate against breeds. Especially with the bigger organisations such as the RSPCA or Battersea. He was just an Akita who had had been left to develop all the worst traits of the breed to an extreme with no direction or help in learning, I have never felt so sad for a dog before.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Speaking as someone who assesses a particular breed usually in a home, your post reflects some of the common views held by many.

However, what YOU can see and observe is not what a trained, experienced assessor (particularly with breed specific knowledge) necessarily sees.

As seen on many posts on here, a dog with food aggression can be extremely challenging for many novice owners especially if they have children. And, contrary to popular belief, a dog that is well fed etc does not reduce this behaviour necessarily.

It is a bit like judging, what the person at the ringside sees and what the judge sees/feels are two entirely different things.

There is not an infinite number of homes out there for dogs, and as I have said before, neither is there an infinite amount of money, so the time and money it takes to rehabilitate a difficult dog, can be used to rehab/rehome say 3, that is COST EFFECTIVE use of resources.

Also, you have to consider our litigious society, if a dog is rehomed DESPITE knowing it may be a liability, where does that put the a) dog b) shelter?

The dog may be dead, the family may be injured and the shelter might have to close!