View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I use a comb to get rid of any tangles and then go all over him with the Furminator which pulls out all the fuzzy stuff. The tops of his legs, his sides, the top of his head and his ears need particular attention.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 08:04 PM
We used Coat Kings, Mikki Stripping knives and fingers!

Little and often is always the best way though
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think people mentioned this before you had him done, its an awful side effect of castration in coated dogs. It will probably get worse yes, on his head and often their body loses all the lovely silky coat and that gets fluff on it too.

Yep as Dawn says its a side effect of castration .. and it will probably get worse with time...

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
awe he really is a fluffy one,

can I ask does the coat loose all its waterproofing and so on?
Something needed to be considered, the reason the coat will be going woolly , isl because of the lack of oils in the coat, due to castration.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im guessing that would be a nightmare for a breed/dog that loves diving into water

Again something that has to be considered, (something that has come up before with woody) a fluffy/broken coat is not going to give any protection to the cold freezing water..
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I had one of my boys done just over a year ago, he is a double coated, breed, his coat has gone a little more profuse, but the guard hairs seem to have gone harsher(required in the breed) but he seems to always be losing coat now like a rolling moult, as before he only lost it fully once a year, I had my girls spayed in December, their coats ATM seem to have come back in nicely, but I guess time will tell if it does in fact change, I am keen to see if the longcoate gene has any effect on this as two are non carriers and one is a carrier.

mo
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yep as Dawn says its a side effect of castration .. and it will probably get worse with time...

Something needed to be considered, the reason the coat will be going woolly , isl because of the lack of oils in the coat, due to castration.

Again something that has to be considered, (something that has come up before with woody) a fluffy/broken coat is not going to give any protection to the cold freezing water..
Ossie our fluffy Springer loved the water but we lost him at the relatively young age of 9 crippled with a really bad arthritis in his elbows. His coat gave him no protection and he was wet through constantly. Our current Springer who was neutered 18 months ago seems ok......so far. Our Springer x Lab who was recently neutered has an amazing coat. Even after his walk and daily 5 minute blast/game with the hose (which is the highlight of his day), his base coat is bone dry. Hopefully this won't change.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 12:47 PM
this is interesting, our friends had a springer who sadly died a couple of weeks ago (RIP gorgeous Mac). She always got his coat clipped and said if she didn't get it clipped it went all fluffy and she thought it was down to once you clip them they always need clipping coz their coat doesn't grow right again. But he was neutered to so this sounds more like the reasoning behind his fluffy coat
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I wish our new old boy would go fluffy...........he was castrated in early February before we took him on, and he is sadly lacking in coat!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I wish our new old boy would go fluffy...........he was castrated in early February before we took him on, and he is sadly lacking in coat!!
Be careful what you wish for, he might end up looking like Ossie!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Maxine, that was so sad about your Ossie but I Bet you loved him no less for his fluffiness.

Just a BIT of hair on our boy's tum and legs and nose and other bits, would be good
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Maxine, that was so sad about your Ossie but I Bet you loved him no less for his fluffiness.

Just a BIT of hair on our boy's tum and legs and nose and other bits, would be good

He was the most honest dog I've ever met, everybody loved him. He was never worked but he caught a pheasant once and spent about 20 minutes trying to get it through a fence to bring it back to us. It was absolutely heartbreaking when we had him pts.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »