Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
Yes it is!
Indeed it is not, Wendy. There is a huge difference.

Loperamide stops water absorption. Probiotics have a completely different function altogether.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001327.html

Helena
Dogs have diarrhoea for a reason. Be cautious giving immodium/loperamide etc...if it is a nasty bug, it locks it inside. It should never be taken for dysentery for that very reason

HTH

M
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 08:22 AM
H

When did you last worm? If 3-6 months, you can probably wait safely til gut improves, the chances of both developing it due to worms at same time is frankly tiny. Its a virus or bacteria from environment or something scrounged on a walk 100:1!!!

I haven't used this myself but many folk swear by slippery elm bark...try googling?

H&B will do pro-biotics. But online you can get for dogs too....have you looked at Dorwest herbs? Again, maybe try googling pro-biotics dogs.

Try not to worry too much, dogs are designed to pass through stuff quickly and make a mess ...which is why I hate immodium. I would never give it to mine unless I knew the cause.

M
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, I gave Coco live yoghurt at 7am and then her normal nuts at 9am, she did 2 normal looking stools and then moved and finished off with small amount very loose, nearly watery! cant make up my mind if I should put her back on the chicken rice diet again? she is in fairly good form, so def is not in any pain, its such a worry, I hate to see them not well. my vet will not give me antibiotics, and says it will clear up itself.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I meant that Immodium is anti diarrhoea, I only gave her 1, as I know it is better to let the dog ( like a human ) pass what ever is upsetting them, what is pro biotic?
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry I have just googled probiotic, so, should I be getting these for my dog, and where can you buy them? I am in Ireland so would take a couple of days to get them sent over from the UK, think I should have them in for future use?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Zena has now sussed the ab's in the chicken, so she's going to have to have the Georgie treatment and get them thrown down her throat now so that she can't smell them in the chicken and rice and I did disguise them in the chicken first before putting the food down, but sadly, she chewed a bit of it with one in it and I know myself how foul they taste!
Before her meal I give Tala a bit of chicken by hand and with the bit of chicken lurks a pill! Then I hold her chin up so that she swallows the pill with the chicken, then another bit of chicken straight away. So far this has never failed.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
what is pro biotic?
Yakult and various other drinks that you can buy in supermarkets are probiotic and you can also get it in pill form in health food stores. My vet seems to think Yakult etc is ok for dogs but he also stocks a special doggy probiotic drink. It helps replace the good bacteria that the ab kill off.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Phew! Thanks for all this help guys and I hope some of it might be helping you Wendyann.

I got to the vets, explained all, and luckily they were quiet so they gave me my very own fantastic, superduper clued up vet nurse who's own dog had the squits for 5 months so she was well clued up on all of this! She offered me two pro-biotics so I opted for the one I recognised that T had told me about the Lacto-B and I've managed to get that into her with some of a Waitrose cooked chicken (yeah I know!!!) She then told me I had to STOP the chicken and rice immediately (only 2 days now, but she's already been on that other tinned stuff for a week ) and she spoke to a vet for me and he said I must start feeding the Hill's I/D kibble to support her growth, but of course, she HATES it, even though I put some in her ball kong to make her think it was treats first, she doesn't like it SO, I then shredded up some more of my Waitrose chicken and mixed it up with the kibble and she ate half of what she's supposed to eat in one meal, but that's good enough. I previously took her on a short walk and I had mixed up some Lectade (electrolytes powders) and managed to get her to drink some of that, not all, but some. NOW you're telling me I shouldn't be giving electrolytes and that's a worry, so I might stop giving that now! I just thought that with chronic watery diarrhea it would be best to replace the body salts and I thought that's what electrolytes were because I used to give them to the horse after a strenuous event to replace his body salts, but not to stop any diarrhea??

Although she HAS been fine, she didn't feel good after all that lot, she did the staring at her stomach, wanted to go outside but did nothing, she hasn't done anything since this morning's diarrheah, but then that's how they've both been for the past 2 days, only going in the morning and nothing else throughout the whole day, which in itself is strange?

Georgie is still on chicken and rice and will remain so for another day or two coz it doesn't matter, he's 10 years old. Zena will get this kibble crushed next, mixed with some chicken and see if she eats it then, otherwise soaked and if not, then my new bag of Royal Canin gsd Junior has just arrived, so I'm going to phone the vet and ask if I can change to that if she'll eat it?

I've got rice all over the kitchen floor, bits of chicken and kibble, water in the fridge with the electrolytes in and two sleeping dogs!

I managed to take her temperature which is 38 and the vet nurse says that's fine, it's normal, so it can't be all bad can it! Or can it???!!

I'm still harping back to those big marrowbones they had 3 weeks ago when all this kind of started but not as bad, and I'm just wondering....... the vet said not though, because they would be sick and not be passing anything, but it could just be that they were infected in themselves, i.e. salmonella or campylobacta or something???

Zena's just been sick, gotta go....
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 11:54 AM
wendyann,canigest is made by an irish company!
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Ah, thats great!! thanks for that!!
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »