Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2004, 09:38 PM

Lungworm

What is it exactly?

A friend at work has taken his dog to the vet and the vet has suggested he may have lung worm (the dog that is) he's 4 and a BC. He's been given a powder to add to his food a sachet a day for 5 days?

Karen
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-06-2004, 09:41 PM
found this:

Adult worms are found in nodules of about 2mm in size in the trachea and bronchi. The method of transfer is not known, the tails of the worms can be seen on bronchoscopy, protruding from the nodules. Many infected dogs go unnoticed but severely affected dogs have a harsh cough and may loose weight.

Mostly young puppies are affected and are common where a number of dogs are kept together. Treatment is usually difficult and surgical removal of the nodules my be necessary.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Azz you are a genius. Thanks. I have "surfed the web" as they say but found very very little. I did wonder because last time I saw "Bob" the BC, he looked as if he'd lost weight.

Karen
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Kazz,
my lad Jas had lung worm as a pup it went undiagnosed for about 4 months he was coughing and not eating and the vet just kept changing his antibiotics
eventually they gave him a "lung wash" and discovered the lung worm we were very upset because we had suggested that it could be this quite early on and were told it wasn't.
The powder they treat it with is just an all round wormer Panacur how simple is that ! Now because it was left untreated for so long Jas has scar tissue on his lungs which may cause him to have bronchial problems later in life
You wouldn't know it now though as he's as fit as a flea.
Apparently he got it from eating fox poo!
Hope Bob recovers quickly
Kirstie
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Kirstie

If it were me, I'd tell them that because of their mis-diagnosis you are holding them liable for any future problems and that you are not willing to pay for any 'wrong' treatment that was given after you told them you suspected it. I cant see how anyone can get something so simple and common wrong! ESPECIALLY as you told them you thought it was that - I'd be incredibly angry!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze View Post
found this:

Adult worms are found in nodules of about 2mm in size in the trachea and bronchi. The method of transfer is not known, the tails of the worms can be seen on bronchoscopy, protruding from the nodules. Many infected dogs go unnoticed but severely affected dogs have a harsh cough and may loose weight.

Mostly young puppies are affected and are common where a number of dogs are kept together. Treatment is usually difficult and surgical removal of the nodules my be necessary.
heard of this too also in other animals.....hope he's well soon. fingers xxxxxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I should hope so, this thread is 2 and half years old
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I should hope so, this thread is 2 and half years old
T, your shocking