Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 11:14 AM

How do you deal with mice?

hello

We have had a field mouse occasionally seen in our kitchen who we thought was coming in through the pipes ( we are an upper villa).

I tried the humane traps and smart little mouse that it is decided to lick the peanut butter off the ramp but not go any further into the trap to set it off.

I am a complete wuss and cannot ever put poison down OR an actual death mouse trap. I just dont have it in me even though I dont want mice in my house,,,

I have just been sitting on the computer and watched a little baby mouse wander across my living room floor and go behind the door........ watched by Bruno I might add who was too lazy to get up and do anything about it.....

I caught him - here he is

and its just a baby and NOT The same mouse that we thought we had as that one was bigger !!!!! This baby was quite shaky on his feet and was easy to catch. he is now out in the garden as even if he gets eaten by a cat at least I dont have to kill him cos I just couldnt do it. Luca thought he was cute and wanted to keep him !!!! his words...

So i may now have an infestation ..... although havent seen anymore or seen any evidence of a lot of droppings etc.

Any non evil ways of getting rid ???

ta
dani
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry have no idea other than to get a cat!!

But HOW CUTE! I would keep them, lol!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
We used to live in an old house next to a churchyard and had mice every winter Oil of peppermint on cotton wool where they are coming in worked very well make sure it's oil not essence though
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I have always found the humane traps with a bourbon biscuit inside worked a treat!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I have kobi cat so never see any mice,,,,, well sometimes left over bits
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
LOL Shona! I used to have several cats that were real hunters and had all kinds of things left for me as presents - and frequently dropped in my lap whilst still alive. These include mice, rabbits and adders.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
You could always get an exterminator in.... then they could deal with poison/traps etc for you?
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:23 PM
He looks so cute, but can understand why you dont want him and his family in your house.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I live near fields so often used to get them in about this time of year when it got colder. If you have seen an adult and a baby, you have an entire family with uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers, sisters and mum and dad, tucked away somewhere.
I got a plug in thing that I got from Woolies, it sends an electronic signal around the house that puts them off from coming in, never seen any since.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
We had a mouse infestation as students Dani and we were the same, 3 veggies and a few Zoology students meant that within a couple of months they took over as we didn't want to hurt them, we also all got poorly though so it is worth trying hard to get rid. The oil of peppermint sounds interesting, but wouldn't stop them living in the walls??? Do you have neighbours downstairs too? You would have to work with them to stop it I suspect and if there are neighbours above, them too. Is it definitely a field mouse/ They are soooo cute. We get them in the garden....

I wouldn't have thought putting them in the garden would make a difference though....won't they just come back in again???

I have evry sympathy but notbhing useful to say...sorry. It is really cute and Luca has a good point....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >