Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
now his latest trick is nosing the tennis ball under the tv stand, then trying to get it out, which involves all sorts of digging and Christopher getting on his hands and knees to get it for him
He has you all well trained then? That`s the trouble with collies.... I refuse totally to play with Daisy after 8.30. She now accepts this and lies down quietly. She used to be quite insistent and attention-seeking but I just ignored her - and turned the TV up to drown the wingeing.
I don`t have a collie - but if this were my dog I would put all toys away at a particular time and ignore completely all attempts to instigate play. Even if you say `lie down` or go away, you`ve given him a reward (the response she`s been seeking. If he starts destroying things, take them away and sit down again without looking at him.
Have a go for a week and see if it gets better. The first few days will be hell, but keep you aim in mind - Peace!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Well Jack is out for his walk at the moment, and I have put all his toys away, and they are shut in the conservatory for the night, so fingers crossed for a quiet night

I know this is of our own doing, and we should have seen this coming, but he's so bloomin crafty, I've had many BC in the past, but he is by far the brainiest, mind you we wouldn't have him any other way, especially remembering what he was like when we first got him, afraid to do anything incase he got beaten, me thinks he's been a little bit spoilt rod and back are two words that spring to mind
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Well Jack is out for his walk at the moment, and I have put all his toys away, and they are shut in the conservatory for the night, so fingers crossed for a quiet night

I know this is of our own doing, and we should have seen this coming, but he's so bloomin crafty, I've had many BC in the past, but he is by far the brainiest, mind you we wouldn't have him any other way, especially remembering what he was like when we first got him, afraid to do anything incase he got beaten, me thinks he's been a little bit spoilt rod and back are two words that spring to mind
LOL, of course he's spoiled. They all are. I had this conversation last night with Julie (Colliemad). We've done the same with our little madame and are working to undo it now
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2008, 04:08 AM

they are the experts at taking advantage and of course he is the brainiest, he's a merle! Mine are every bit as spoilt and cheeky and will take advantage in exactly the same way if they get the chance
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Dale always picks evenings to look for attention too. It doesn't seem to make any difference how much he does during the day.
I tried 'being firm' and telling him no. Then if he persisted putting him out of the room, just for a bit not all night. Not a good idea. He took it to heart, went to his crate and wouldn't come out. So instead of a nice quiet evening I spent my time coaxing him to play with me
My best solution , so far is to get out the clicker for 10 minutes or so and then ignore him. He is settling but usually once the program 's finished.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:57 AM
How did it go last night?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
they are the experts at taking advantage and of course he is the brainiest, he's a merle! Mine are every bit as spoilt and cheeky and will take advantage in exactly the same way if they get the chance
Glad I'm not the only one we've always laughed at his ingenuity before, but I guess it's the fact he cold break something, that we are now trying to stop it

Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
LOL, of course he's spoiled. They all are. I had this conversation last night with Julie (Colliemad). We've done the same with our little madame and are working to undo it now
Yup, sound very familiar
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
My best solution , so far is to get out the clicker for 10 minutes or so and then ignore him. He is settling but usually once the program 's finished.
We can't use the clicker with Jack, he's terrified of it, we are sure that his previous owner used it as some sort of punishment, but what ever, he see it as a bad thing

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
How did it go last night?
Thanks for asking Rach I felt so sorry for him, I nearly gave in and gave them back to him but I didn't he searched for about 1/2 hour, I think he knew where they were as he sat at the back door squeeking then he came and laid down on his bed sulking , but boy was he glad to get them back this morning, everything came out, and he had a little play with nearly everything
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 04:36 PM
You could always buy him a bigger ball as well, that way it won't fit under the cabinet for him to get is stuck.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
You could always buy him a bigger ball as well, that way it won't fit under the cabinet for him to get is stuck.
He has loads of different size balls, but in the evening only a tennis ball will do
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I guess i'm quite lucky I dont have any problems like this. All the dogs toys are kept out of reach outside and they only get to play with a toy when I let them have one. Once the game is over, the toy goes back immediately.

We only play outside as well, never indoors so they generally know that when they are inside and the back door is shut, it's time to relax on their bed. Mind you, the dogs live in the kitchen and arent allowed further into the house so they dont badger us for attention anyway.

The only thing I can suggest is to put all toys away at a certain time each night so the dog gets the message it's time to wind down and settle for the night.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2