Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Excitable GSD

Hi there, need some advice, i have a GSD bitch 3yrs old, we have spent a fortune on training classes even residential
training.
She is very obedient until we meet other dogs then she wont stop barking at them, Hackles up the lot, if i let her over to them she is very friendly and licks them, problem i have is she tends to make folk cross the road away from her.
She is very very friendly but 1st impression is terrible, i know its excitement, im not sure what to try to stop her getting so excited, on vets advice i got her spayed, no difference. She is good in house not a barker unless someone comes to door, any ideas i will try anything, as i am starting to avoid areas i know i will meet dogs.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Have you tried a gentle leader/headcollar just to give you a bit more control when she does it. I hope someone can advise but it is a difficult one.
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Thankyou for answering, Sassy wears a halti or i would be on my backside when she gets excited, it is a difficult one.
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
hi gsdfan,YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! i too have a 3yr old (huskyxgsd spayed)bitch,who by all accounts acts EXACTLY as yours does(SHE isnt aggressive although the commotion she makes has people thinking otherwise!!) she is very excitable when in close(ish) proximity to another dog but once she is face to face with the 'otherdog'will lick its face and be generally submissive BUT the initial impression is far from that...!!! i use a halti and that does give me more control but seems to fuel the behaviour and also tends to give the impression i am in possession of a WILD and MUZZLED wolf... not v.helpful!! will also be pleased for some advice
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 09:03 PM
What you need to do is whenever she starts to get over excited is to gently turn her away. Basically everytime you see another dog turn round and walk away, eventually she will get the message that she is never going to meet another dog or get anywhere if she continually barks. You do need to find her limit, i.e. how close you can get before she gets excited so you can gradually reduce that distance.
I use this method and slowly, very slowly, my lot are getting the message that if they go running off after other dogs I disappear into the distance!
Becky
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Thankyou Becky, that sounds like great advise, i will give it a try tomorrow when we go for a walk, and let you know how i got on.
Its a shame, i know i am starting to panic because i know the fiasco im going to have and im probably sending signals to Sas making her worse, what you say makes sense for her and me, thanks again Pauline x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I would also be tempted to carry some really high value treats (bits of cheese, chicken etc) that you only give her when she sees other dogs. When you see other dogs, turn her gently away from them and if she is quiet, give her a treat. Hopefully eventually you will be able to pass other dog and she will be looking to you for her reward.

My friend has a male GSD who is exactly like your bitch and this method worked for her. It takes months, but is well worth it in the end

Good luck.
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Thankyou again, i cant wait to go out for walk tomorrow i will be more relaxed, i am taking all suggestions on board, i just made some liver cake (recipe from dogsey site) its her favourite. My husband and i didnt know what to do next, thanks to dogsey we might be able to enjoy walking Sassy again.
We recently moved to this area from Richmond North Yorkshire, i had no problems with her up there as lots of open spaces and not a lot of traffic or people. Dont know area well enough yet, got to find some nice dog walks, spend most of time walking the pavements and quick run in a football field. Thanks again Pauline x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Let us know how you get on.

Would love to see some photos of Sassy
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
have been trying to get pics on, i must be quite thick i will keep trying and add some when ive worked it out x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >