Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moopink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:17 PM

Why can't he play???

My dog just doesn't know how to play.
He has plenty of toys,some that he doesn't give the time of day too,and he has his favourites.But he doesn't actually know how to play with them.He just chews on them and tries to destroy them,most of the time he succeeds.Like last week a friend of ours bought him a tugger with a ball on either end,we gave it to him and within minutes it was trashed!!!
Everytime I try to play with his new toys with him,to show him what they were made for, he will try and tug on it for a while,then he will wander off and go and find something else.
Aston isn't a destructive dog at all,the only things he destroys are his toys.
What am I doing wrong?
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
To be honest, I think many dogs are like this. It's almost a standing joke in our house about getting a new "toy" on each weekly shopping trip.

We've purchased our GSD a ton of toys and she chews through them all. But then really, what else do you expect a dog to do? Chewing toys is better than chewing furniture, and it's great stress relief for them.

The ONLY toy that our dog has never managed to destroy is a kong. They are worth their weight in gold.

Another thing, if you leave them out all of the time, and the dog has access to them 24/7, they can quickly lose their value.

We have a "rope tugger" that is out at all times, but balls, etc are kept in a cupboard and pulled out when she's earned them through training, or after walking. Each day, she's as keen as the day before to see them come out of the cupboard.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I think you need to make play time really exciting and interesting. Get really interactive with your dog.
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
lol at least your dog will actually play or even chew on toys.floss isnt the slightest bit interested on toys but has once or twice chased a ball but only in the house
Moopink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think you need to make play time really exciting and interesting. Get really interactive with your dog.
I try to get him excited to play and interact with him,he does get excited when we are throwing a ball outside,but playing with actual toys just seems hopeless,I don't know how much we have spent on toys for him that he just chews
A while back we bought him the interactive plush toys,which I thought were a great idea as they stimulate a dogs mind,but after a few times of playing with it......yep he chewed it and ripped it to pieces.

I just find that most of the interesting toys on sale are made of plush,soft vinyl or just plain destructible material,
what are people with strong chewers supposed to buy their dogs? because I haven't found anything that interests him and is made of strong material.

I think I will try what GSDLover suggested,putting his toys away,then getting them out,that sounds like a good idea.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
moopink - your dog has staffie in him doesnt he ???

well cheapest and most effective toy for a staffie is :
plastic juice cartons ( empty and with lids removed)
egg cartons
the cardboard tubes from kitchen and toilet rolls
tyres
large tree branches ( not sticks obviously)

these will keep most staffies entertained - my dogs only vice other than above is balls - he loves them but to chew on more than play with !!!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moopink View Post
but playing with actual toys just seems hopeless,I don't know how much we have spent on toys for him that he just chews
Sounds like most dogs I know, especially staffies and part staffies. They live to chew

Personally I don't see much point in leaving a tugger out for doggie all the time. A tugger needs a human at one end of it for it to be a tugger. Otherwise it's just another chew toy lying around the house. I put our tuggers away and only bring them out when I want to play tugger. I never let the dogs have the tugger on their own for chewing. Unsurprisingly the tuggers are the most exciting toys to the dogs in our house.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
moopink - your dog has staffie in him doesnt he ???

well cheapest and most effective toy for a staffie is :
plastic juice cartons ( empty and with lids removed)
egg cartons
the cardboard tubes from kitchen and toilet rolls
tyres
large tree branches ( not sticks obviously)

these will keep most staffies entertained - my dogs only vice other than above is balls - he loves them but to chew on more than play with !!!
yep my two bullies love them also they have a 10kg medicine ball that they will carry it around, jump on it and kick it and with the kongs I turn them into Icee
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Moopink View Post
I don't know how much we have spent on toys for him that he just chews
A while back we bought him the interactive plush toys,which I thought were a great idea as they stimulate a dogs mind,but after a few times of playing with it......yep he chewed it and ripped it to pieces.

I just find that most of the interesting toys on sale are made of plush,soft vinyl or just plain destructible material,
what are people with strong chewers supposed to buy their dogs? because I haven't found anything that interests him and is made of strong material.

The 'teddy' like toys are just a waste of money as dog toys I rekon. I used to buy them all the time because they looked/felt lovely, but they never lasted more than five minutes!!

One of my dogs loves toys and plays all the time. Even on his own - he takes his ball to the top of the stairs and lets it roll down and then chases it up and down!!

However Ben, my Border Terrier, rarely plays and usually destroys. He loves chewing too. I just rekon some dogs just arent interested!!

So my recommendations for durable chew toys would be Kongs and also Nylabones are very good. You can get Staffy durability ones too. I got a couple in March at crufts and they are still on the go even after hours of chewing!!

Kong info:
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/kong.php

Nylabone info:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=10
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 08:39 AM
As GSD indicated re toys being out 24/7, it is useful to have only some toys around at a time. I change Willow's over every couple of days and she finds renewed excitement in her 'new' toys
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >