register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: At what age did you dogs 'ask'?
3-4 months old 16 50.00%
5-6 months old 5 15.63%
7-8 months old 3 9.38%
9-10 months old 4 12.50%
11-12 months old 0 0%
1 year - 2 years old 2 6.25%
Still hasn't asked/too young 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Angel picked it up pretty quick & was letting us know by about 3 months, as he got bigger & was able to reach he started to rattle the keys in the back door by nudging them with his nose to let us know.

Misty at 12 months still doesn't let you know, Angel tells us to open the door when she needs to pee, & she will run out & go, a couple of times when hes not been here she has had accidents in the house because he has not been here to let us know (he must be able to smell that she needs pee) Since she has been on heat this past couple of weeks we have had to be vigilent & make sure to take her out every few hours because shes not likely to let you know & that has been ok - no accidents, she has let me know once so far - she was in her crate whilst my male was in the house whilst I went to clean the yard & she started pacing & wimpering a lot, but thats the only time shes let us know.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 07:42 AM
hi my dog sits at the back door never barked or made a sound, so had to keep an eye on him all the time. i got to the point where i bought a dog flap that can be locked at night if you need it to be. now all my dogs use the flap so dont have to keep an eye on them as much.

sam
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Alfie will sit by the back door and give his 'i need a wee' bark,its justa short sharp but quite commanding woof !!
If you don't take any notice he will come get you and repeat the whole thing,I'm noticing the older he gets,the more different barks (Or howls LOL) he has for different things.
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Bob doesn't bark/whine or scratch all he does is stand at the back door if we haven't seen him he will come back and use his nose to get our attention

ps He started to do this at about 3 or 4 mts
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2006, 12:31 PM
My puppy is 4 months old now.. She's made a few noticeable signs to go outside but nothing really directed at us to tell us she needs to go, and if we don't notice her circling she will just try and sneak off and go indoors..

once she was trying to paw her way out of the glass patio door to go, and the second time i had her on the bed (don't tell OH!) she can't jump down on her own and she actually pawed to wake me up to go out. This is the only two times that has happened though. I think it's because we've had the doors open most of the summer that she hasn't grasped the asking just yet.. plus we have three adults that we are trying to house train at the same time which is making it a very complicated process,

Although puppy is far out-learning the adults
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 12:45 PM
When we had the pups, Buster would ask to go out at 6 weeks of age. He obviously picked this up from Jas as he'd sit by the door then come into us and run to the back door again. When buster went to his first new home he was still asking to go out, going to the front door, coming bac k and then going to the door again but his new owners would ignore him then tell him off for peeing in the hallway
I was there the one day and I said 'He wants to go out' but they said 'He only went an hour ago' I opened the front door ( he used the front garden to do his business) and he immediately went for a pee and a poo
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I voted 3-4 months, but wanted to vote for a younger age, Baku came to us fairly well trained at only 8weeks, the breeder put a lot of time and effort in teaching his pups to go outside from as early as possible, so we really only had a few problems when he arrived and that was purely because he didn't know where the toilet was in our home, luckily he picked up very quickly where it was and always goes to the back door and I let him out, though we do occassionally have accidents because I may be upstair or what not and he will then piddle by the back door. At first we had a few problems because I kept leaving the back door open and he then though the whole house was a toilet, so completely my mistake When his bladder is stronger we shouldn't have any mishaps at all, they are very infrequent though
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a 4 month old NI which was doing great on house training. However, he's started doing it in the house again.

I think it is because of two things:

1. I have to go into work 2-3 times a month and it is 6 hours I'm away. I expect a poo and wee in that time and it's not a problem. I leave him in the kitchen with our adult male lab.

2. We had to relocate our bedroom to the downstairs front room as our female lab has arthritis and it was getting too much pain/effort for her to go upstairs, however, much she wanted to. I also broke my toed falling down the stairs 7and tend to fall down them when I have taken my medication.

If the french windows are closed, he will sit by the window but not make any noise which we don't click on sometimes. Also when the door to the garden is left open, he will do it right next to the door (inside not outside).

Am hoping it is just a phase while he gets used to the concept of 'in' versus 'out'. We have also stopped him being in the crate - as we have 3 other dogs, he was getting fed up.

I think the real answer is - whenever they are ready and learn that if they make a noise, the door miraculously opens!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3