Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 10:36 AM

Why won't he pee outside!?

We picked our Golden retriever pup up on sat and have been trying to house train him. He wasn't paper trained when we got him and was going to the loo everywhere but not as much as I thought he would!!!!

He now seams to do it on the paper MOST of the time, BUT he will still go to the loo anywhere as well

We take him outside to the same place everytime, reguarly. He will just sit there or eat the grass and twigs!!! Bring him inside and he will do it inside as soon as we come in!!!! or a bit later. I watch him for getting ready to do it but by the time hes doing that I can't stop him doing it by distracting him or anything!!!

What can I do??????
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Try taking bits of newspaper outside with him when you get him out. No, not to read, to wee on!

Welcome, BTW! Just noticed this is your 1st post!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Hiya!

Dont worry! Your pup will get there but it does take lots of time and patience.
Have you tried (this may sound silly) walkign around in a little circle looking at the ground chanting whatever word you use to encourage your pup to toilet?

I know if sounds crazy and you will look and sound demented when you do it but it is supposed to look to the pup as though you are looking for somewhere to go toilet too and then they copy you. And chanting the toilet word also makes them associate it with the action. Even when the pup goes in the house if you say the toilet word they will associate it with what they are doing.

My pup is now 12 weeks old and she has started going to a door when she needs to toilet. She is also very good with puppy pads (she wasnt keen on newspaper) and now it is very rare to have an accident. We have an older dog so she copies him a lot which helps.

I hope this might help you a bit. Remember dogs arent properly fully toilet trained until they are 6 months old! Keep trying and dont worry you'll get there!

x
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi there,

Awww, new puppy!! I hope you're enjoying him!

Oh dear, this sounds like 'little boy' syndrome to me . . I always advise anyone thinking of getting a puppy to wait until the weather is warmer! Think about it . . he's desperate, you take him into a big, scary world that's FREEZING, and his little muscles go zzzzzzip, not doin' Nuthin!!! And then you get fed up waiting, bring him in . . ahh, nice warm comfortable safe place.. weeeeeeeeeeeee. Oops.

Been there!!

My advice - forget the paper, you'll confuse him, first you want him to pee on paper, then you want him to pee on grass . . stick to one thing. He's got to go OUTDOORS, and that's where he's allowed to pee. Nowhere else.

Keep a thick, waterproof coat by the door, wellies, and an umbrella. Watch the pup - if you aren't watching him, put him in his crate (see below). Never let him loose in any room while you aren't watching him. After every meal, after every play-session, after he wakes up from each nap - take him out. When he starts circling with his nose down, or looks anxious, scoop him up (even if he's started going, cos he'll stop the instant you pick him up), wrap yourself up and take him out, set him down in his place . . and stay there.

Resist ALL temptation to go back in until he's performed. He HAS to go, and eventually, he will. You just have to grit your teeth and wait - and when I say wait, I've known people wait half an hour or more! Once he's gone, clean up poo INSTANTLY (to stop him learning to eat it - disgusting habit!), give him loads of praise, bring him back in again.

Another tip - if you haven't got a crate, buy one, or use a high-sided cardboard box that he can't jump out of, and keep him in it at night near your bed. (I take up the waterbowl after 8pm and do the last 'drain' at 10pm - most of my pups have gone through the night dry with this regime). Puppies don't like to soil their beds, and if he can't get out of his bed for a wee, he'll make a fuss. You can scoop him up and take him out when he does. OK, going out in the middle of the night in a snow storm is no fun, but it really does work - the puppy will learn so much faster if he never gets the chance to go in the house.

Apart from that - keep your calm, and keep at it! He'll learn. best of luck!
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah forgort to say he is in a crate and he goes all night without doing anything in there!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Stephi congratulations on your new puppy, this article may help...

Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Stephi103
Oh yeah forgort to say he is in a crate and he goes all night without doing anything in there!

That's because it is against their nature to empty themselves in the area they sleep in (unless you have a dog like Oz who used to do it then lie in it - gross!!!)

Your puppy is still very young yet and will take much longer to get fully toilet trained. Don't despair just keep on taking him outside after every mealtime, after playtime and after watering, these are the times he is most likely to want to go!

If you keep doing this you will be able to empty him outside and then really praise him tons when he does do it in the right place (like he's just won Crufts or something!!) Remember consistency is the key.
janiebaby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2006, 04:44 PM
just to say hi steph , glad you've come on here , i told here about this wonderful place , you should post a pic of him , i have seen him and he is gorgeous.
welcome to dogweb
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I have introduced myself in 'intros'!!!
janiebaby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2006, 05:12 PM
about time too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >