View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-01-2006, 11:48 AM
My 10 month old Harley (SBT) is doing the same its like he's never been trained jumping not doing as he is asked just a right pain, He was so good once .
Just hoping it is this teenager thing or its back to training class's for him and the mad house for me.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Harleystaff
My 10 month old Harley (SBT) is doing the same its like he's never been trained jumping not doing as he is asked just a right pain, He was so good once .
Just hoping it is this teenager thing or its back to training class's for him and the mad house for me.
As said earlier in the thread it is more important to be training now than it was when he was a baby. Training not only gives him something interesting to do with you but reinforces your right to have control of his actions and behaviour. Formal training classes are not needed unless you feel you need the support but short sessions every day and at least some of his exercise time should be formal walking to heel, sit when you stop and recall and sit.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I think sometimes people have a tendancy to train puppies and to think once this is done that's all there is to it
I continue with some training throughout a dogs life, even with the simple things like 'sit and stay' ..this reinforces the lessons taught and in the dogs eyes maintains a persons position as head of the house.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Trust me as Staff owner if you don't carrry through with your earlier training - then you will regret it.
But bearing in mind you do come out of it by the magical approx 18 months for a Staff you will have a dog to be proud of but only IF you put in the work pre 18months, every little bit of training put in is given back ten fold.

But remember kindness is the key - and you don't have to make them boring classroom settings simple things like; Sit before they are stroked /fussed, waiting while you go through the door first, coming when called from room to room, sitting and waiting while you open the door to visitors, leaving things alone when told, when playing with you and a much loved tug toy (we are talking Staffs) loosing when told to, outside on walks walking nicely no pulling, when off lead sitting and waiting while you throw a ball/whatever and then only moving to chase it when told. To go. Sit stays as you walk on ahead, coming when called, simple little things, but things that make your dogs life easier.

Take care and have fun Karen
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2006, 04:40 AM
The posts on training 'Stay' have been moved here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/tra...ger_26333.html
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3