Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Zylkene-Separation anxiety

Has anyone used this for separation anxiety?

I'm having problems with m 6 month old smooth Dachshund and this has been recommended along with Skull cap/valerian and adaptil diffuser. Would love to hear any reviews before I buy some.

Thanks
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 01:31 AM
I used this on a former foster who was basically terrified of the world. It's not cure all, but took the edge off and she was able to function better overall. I would use it again if a dog and myself would benefit from it.

All the best.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I do sympathise with you having a dog with SA. I have two dogs (brother litter mates) and one has it and one doesn't which has just proved to me that it can be in their make-up and not always how they are treated etc.

They are now 3 and my ones SA is better than it was. My neighbour has a dog with severe SA who will tear up the house if left for long. She's had a behaviourist in who recommended various tips and also the DAP diffuser (Adaptil) which she believes has helped as he no longer destroys his surroundings. However, he does still howl while she is out as we can hear him.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for your replies. Mine howls/barks and rearranges her pen! scuffs up the puppy pad, moves her bed around and defecates and urinates, gets it all over the bedding and her sometimes just one of her problems
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Hi, I used this on my nervous border collie. It worked well enough. I agree that it takes edge off. I use bach flower rescue remedies now. Same effects but less expensive. Good luck��
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2014, 01:07 PM
I'd talk to your vet beforehand if you haven't already. At 6 months old I'd be hesitant in starting her on meds. Especially as it might be a behaviour that is relatively easy to cure on it's own. Have you contacted a behaviourist? Have you tried leaving her out of her den? I'm assuming that means her crate? Dogs with SA tend to be far worse when confined. Is it a possibility to leave her with free run of the house? Although I appreciate that might not be an option if she's destructive. I'd definitely try all other options before deciding on the meds. You may find the DAP diffuser useful. But, anything you do decide on will only be of benefit if used alongside training.
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I agree that you have to use training methods as well. There are good books out there to help. In my experience the adaptil diffuser was less effective but I found the collar good.