Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Opinions on this dog training couse please

There's threads on here about Ishka. Her main problems are fear of other dogs resulting in growling, barking, cowering, hiding, jumping up and down and running away (if off lead). Ive come across this class and just wondered what others thought of it and if you think it would suit my dog. Want other opinions not just that of the trainer but will send o the form for the trainers opinion anyway. If you need any more info on Ishka just ask. Scroll down to reactive rover level 1 .

http://www.tailwaggers.org.uk/obedience-classes.html
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd query the bit on the questionnaire about where you have trained before.

I'd ask to go along and watch a reactive class before making a decision---it seems quite expensive to me. Also very much agility based as a club which kind of makes me suspicious---sorry!

rune
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I'd query the bit on the questionnaire about where you have trained before.

I'd ask to go along and watch a reactive class before making a decision---it seems quite expensive to me. Also very much agility based as a club which kind of makes me suspicious---sorry!

rune
Thanks Rune. I really appreciate your reply and advice. I want unbiased opinions (dont care if they are bad or good) as I want the best for Ishka.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Is it the "reactive rover" class you are looking at?

I personally think it looks quite good, and certainly worth the money if it helps.

I was asked if I had attended classes before, and which one. I think it helps the trainer understand what you have learnt, and if you are coming with preconceived ideas.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Going on what it says there, I'd think it was OK .

A friend of mine locally runs very similar classes outdoors, and she also has the first class owners only, and uses it to go through things the owners need to know before the dogs come into the equation

I did wonder, with the title "Reactive Rover" , if she'd done any work with Kim Moeller, who does special reactive rover groups in the US and has recently become more known in the Uk. It seems she has, as she lists Kim as one of the people she's learnt from.

I think you could go ahead with far more confidence than many similar classes - but I agree with Rune, if you can, go and watch a class first as that will tell you lots

Wys
x
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Don't worry about the agility based group.
My agility trainer is APDT registered.
Go and have a look.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you all. I think I will fill in the form and if the trainer says she thinks Ishka would be suitable I will say i want to go and watch a class before I commit.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I think it sounds interesting - enough that I would deff go along and have a look if it was closer

I dont see a huge problem asking where they have trained before, just gives and idea what they might already know (especially if there are some harsh classes in the area)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I would go along and watch one first before I put my money down.

TBH, just because you have trained with (insert relevant name of trainer) does not mean you have the skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience to train others.

Go watch, determine what methodology she is using with the dogs, see if they are over aroused, if the area has barriers etc.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 09:52 PM
on paper it sounds good! I'd echo the others and say watch one to make sure it's what you want before you take your dog/put money down
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >