Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:27 AM

How to help a dog learn about ground scent

How do I do this? I`ve not had a dog that hadn`t learned to use his nose before. All the others did it by instinct.
Prince basically charges about till he falls over what he is meant to be looking for.
So far I have tried...
lines of livercake
sending him with Daisy so he can learn from her
hiding toys in long grass.
He doesn`t seem to understand the `nose on ground, follow footfalls` thing.
Help!
ps he can find a discarded tuna sandwich at any distance so I know he`s not nasally challenged.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Kiki hasn't shown much interest in scenting (surprisingly, Casper has taken to it like a duck to water!) so it was suggested that I use a clicker to train it, e.g. click as she moves towards the track I've laid. Not tried it yet but could be worth a try for you
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
My friends dog was like that. He would 'look' for things I had hidden for him to sniff out
My two would be like little steam trains sniffing away - but he looked and looked
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Some dogs prefer to air sent I'm told.

Rona on here does trailing with her Csv, from what I gather, they don't tend to track with their noses attached to the ground.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Just to get him used to using his nose, drop some very small treats in some quite long grass. Then when he gets the idea, go back to the line of livercake (but again in long grass so he can't see it but hopefully by now realises that he can find it if he uses his nose).
Rona
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
He doesn`t seem to understand the `nose on ground, follow footfalls` thing.
Help!
ps he can find a discarded tuna sandwich at any distance so I know he`s not nasally challenged.
It depends what kind of tracking you want to train him for. If sport/IPO tracking, then probably you'd have to make him really hungry and then get him on a track with pieces of liver or pate on, so that he discovers he's rewarded for putting his nose down

If you want him to trail, i.e. use his nose for authentic (pragmatic) search of things and people you shouldn't be bothered.
From my experience, if the dog is able to find what he is to find with his nose up, it usually means:
1. that the track is very fresh or the weather hot, dry or windy and the scent particles have been still floating in the air,
2. that the scent is very intensive, e.g. my dog finds it very easy to follow somebody who uses perfumes or is wearing a leather jacket
or
3. your dog has particularly good nose, and doesn't need to keep it down most of the time
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Teg smells for things nose to ground but Shambles always searches with her neck and head straight, parallel to the ground, if that makes sense?
She is definitely air scenting as she whirls round towards the toy when she couldn't have seen it.
Maybe he just does that?
This is only after a toy, not proper tracking.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Sounds like my Zymi he mainly air scents until he homes in then his nose goes down. That's searching for things though never done any tracking
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Set a trail using juice from a tin of tuna? If that's what floats his boat
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
If you want him to trail, i.e. use his nose for authentic (pragmatic) search of things and people you shouldn't be bothered.
He dashes about like a pillock then gives up and comes back if he doesn`t find it. So I have to send the other dog in to get it. He has the attention span of a small child.
I shall persevere with the hiding the ball in the bushes thing in the hope the penny drops, I think.
When I got him he obviously hadn`t ever played these sorts of games. Hopefully he will improve.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >