Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Neighbours

My neighbour has a Lab, who lives outside. In the 4 years I have been here it has never been for a walk. Has a 15 foot by 9 foot space fenced outside. No shelter from rain, snow Sun etc.

I called the RSPCA and told them, they came and they now know it was me who reported them as they said any formal complaints a name has to be given but will not be disclosed. Anyway the way our houses are positioned, I am the only one who can see this dog so they've come to the correct conclusion it was me. So be it. I couldn;t care less. Don't abuse your dog.

Now the thing is since I complained they have bought another, a staffy, it spent the first 4 nights inside, must have made a mess and then was thrown out with the lab. It's eaten its way through a fence to the other neighbour round the corner out of sheer boredom and cries all day long.

Now they were told to get ashelter and still haven't so I have reported them again, rather than them checking up as they should have done.

Now yesterday the car pulled up and I hear "come on sweatie", another bloody dog, a pup this time, westie. How long will it be before this is thrown out too. Seems like they hate it when the puppyness goes and they get to adu;ts.

I have offered to take them, NO. I have offered to walk them, Get lost. I don't know what else to do?

Other than the RSPCA what else can I do please? They look like they've bought a kids plastic garden house, type you see in nurseries, red roof etc. I am sure they're going to use this as the dog shelter.

Yes they have food and water but where does the WALK come into this? It isn't bloody good enough to just feed an animal, you have to excercise both body and mind. They do neither. I have seriously contemplated doing nasty things to them and I am NOT a violent person by any stretch, far from it. I just cannot stomach watching these poor dogs go downhill and because they have the bare essentials that this is deemed OK.

Tried the nice approach, tried being arsy. Offered to walk, take them in at night, buy them a shelter even and it is all met with MYOB.

Feel like giving up but I can't

Anyone ANY suggestions I am willing to try just about anything.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 11:15 PM
You did what you should have done, reported them to the RSPCA, so your duty is done. It is up to THEM to determine the level, if any, of neglect etc and the appropriate action.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 11:20 PM
not walking a dog does not come under the 'duty of care' the rspca follow.
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2011, 11:23 PM
They don't seem to want to do anythung as they have food and water, it is the bare minimum. Why isn't a walk as important for the mind as food is for the body. They are cruel SB. I have no time for that. I also thought, honestly, about having them stolen so they are cared for. It has seriousl crossed my mind. I just feel like I cannot give up. I bet you within a week this little pup will be out in the cold with the others, it is shameful.

Thanks for the advice. I know in my mind I have done my duty, my heart though tells me otherwise
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately as long as they have shelter, food and water the RSPCA can/will do nothing. Where I used to live about 12 of us kept on and on reporting 8 mastiffs living on a 15ft by 3ft balcony. RSPCA came out and investigated (eventually! Took about 18 months of reporting) and said there was no problem with the situation. Never mind the godawful stench from the balcony that meant none of us could open windows and never mind the fact the dogs were tearing into each other on a daily basis.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:52 AM
I spoke to our neighbour about this same situation with his dog, thankfully they were OK and now he often walks his with ours plus now has built a lovely shelter.

However I did speak to someone else who had thier SBT in a run at the side of his maisonette (his garden being the front one) it was heavily snowing, the run being 8ft by 4ft and he got extremely abusive.....and he got the abuse back too I rang the RSPCA eventually after months a kennel was supplied, but its never walked as there is no law insisting they have to be. Its well fed/watered a kennel supplied a run (albeit that he can only run up and down everytime someone passes) so thats as far as they can go.

I wish someone could take it and find it a TLC home to TBH, but now its a nasty SBT
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
not walking a dog does not come under the 'duty of care' the rspca follow.
This is the sad truth.........

It's certainly not what you or any other dog lover believes is the right way to treat a dog......

Your hands are tied now...... it must be torture to watch.

*Hugs* x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Why do some people have dogs , what is the point when they are kept like that.
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:07 AM
That is just so tough. It must be so distressing for you knowing how these dogs must feel. I wish the RSPCA would consider exercise etc. as crucial. What a shame these neighbours won't accept your offer of walks.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I couldn't imagine having to watch those poor dogs subjected to a life of insane boredom and misery behind four fence panels. I'm afraid I couldn't keep my trap shut either. I know what I'd be tempted to do, and it ain't legal...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >